Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jctannerjr
Reel Rookie

Cannot change provider for live stream provider

I added live feed for broadcast stations via Xfinity.  I have now changed over to the Hulu service with the live feed option.  However,  all those stations continue to point to Xfinity (there is an Xfinity symbol on the upper right of the screen)  and I cannot resolve it.  I have tried:

- Deleting and re-adding the channels

- resetting with Roku -  Settings - System - Advanced - Power - System Restart

- Other suggestions I found on-line

The only thing which may work is   Roku - Settings - System - Advanced Setting - Factory Reset.  But that seems to be a high price to pay, and from other comments I have read here still may not fix the problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot change provider for live stream provider

@jctannerjr 

Here's what I think is the cause of your problem. There are several things involved, that put together, can cause this.

First, Roku has Single Sign On (SSO) capability for apps to use. More apps are using that. There's no way to disable it. If the app uses it, it uses it. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

SSO can work across devices on the same Roku account. For example, if you have a Roku in the living room and one in the bedroom on the same Roku account, signing in to a SSO-enabled app on one Roku device will cause the app to sign in on the app on the other Roku device. This is, of course, if the developer implemented SSO accurately and fully.

SSO can work across apps from the same family of networks. For example, the A&E networks (A&E, History, Lifetime, etc) use SSO. NBCU apps (Xfinity, NBC, USA, SyFy, etc) use SSO. It could be that Disney networks (Hulu, Fox, ABC, ESPN, etc) all or in part use SSO. I don't think all Disney do, but some might, particularly Hulu.

So, if Hulu is using SSO, then you'd need to remove the app, then restart all your Roku devices to clear out any leftover data that might re-enable the sign in. And, you MAY need to remove all related app (Disney owned) from Roku, and restart all your Roku devices.

Note that if you miss a related app, you may still encounter the issue.

Note that a factory reset may not resolve it, unless you did a factory reset on all the devices on your account. This is because once you tie a Roku back to your account, it will download all the apps. If a Roku is still in operation with the login, and if SSO is reading that, then you still have the issue.

One other thing. Sometimes, simply logging out works and you don't have to go through all this rigamarole to clear stuff out. But with all the things that could happen, it may be necessary. It could be that one thing is glitching on one device and app, but something else glitching on a different device and app.

It could be a single app causing the issue, or it could be several related apps.

Now, I'm not saying you have to remove every app. Try the one with the problem first. Just make sure you remove it, then restart all of your Roku devices before reinstalling it.

And by "all your Roku devices" I mean those listed at the bottom of https://my.roku.com/

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

jctannerjr
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your response, but it did not solve the problem.  Even after removing all of the Apps and restarting the devices, trying to install the live stream stations defaulted to Xfinity.

Any other possible suggestion?

0 Kudos
twolegsbad

This is ridiculous. I am trying to fix an issue like this with Hulu. Why can’t I just log out either on the app on the roku or on my account online? It’s ridiculous to have to go through so many steps to “hopefully” solve this problem. Guess I just won’t be watching Hulu on my Roku. Pretty **bleep** design flaw! Hope they find a workaround soon or I’ll be telling all my friends NOT to buy a Roku. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@twolegsbad  This has absolutely nothing to do with Roku. They don’t make the Hulu channel 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@twolegsbad 

This thread is about apps that authenticate against a TV provider service. Hulu isn't one of those apps, so the solution for those may not apply to Hulu.

You're wanting to log out of Hulu, if I'm correctly reading what you wrote.

From within Hulu, within a profile, go UP to the top menu, and all the way to the right, to the Profiles icon.

Now go DOWN to Log Out. That logs you out.

If you have a problem with those steps, tell us where the problem happened and what was not as expected.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos