Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arete
Level 7

Cannot add Prime or HBO Go

Hello,

I've just bought a Roku Ultra, I tried to add a few channels but I cannot get Amazon Prime or HBO GO. I have active subscriptions on those two providers but I don't find them on Roku channels list and I don't even have a "search" option.

So... where is the problem?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot add Prime or HBO Go

@Arete-

Please clarify:

In which country are you located?

What Roku model and model number are you using.  You can find this information via Roku menu path Settings > System > About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Arete
Level 7

I'm located in Romania, the device is ROKU ULTRA, SN X01000CEXGJ6.

Amazon Prime and HBO GO works very well on other two devices connected to the same internet connection (Apple TV and LG smart TV)

0 Kudos
Arete
Level 7

This is a screen shot of a chat with Amazon Prime Customer ServiceScreenshot 2021-09-24 at 13-16-29 Chat with Amazon Customer Service.png

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Arete-

The Roku home page main menu Search Search is available in English in Canada, Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.  Roku Search is available in Spanish in Mexico and the United States.

All Roku Ultra models should support both Prime Video and HBO Go.

I don't know about Romania, but in the US, HBO Go in the Roku channel store has been replaced by HBO Max.

There are two steps to a channel becoming available on Roku in any given geographical area.

1. The channel owners must authorize the distribution of their content in that region. Due to regional licensing rights, a given channel may provide different content region by region.

2. The channel owners must create a version of their channel app for the Roku that is configured to work in that region and provide it to Roku for distribution. Each major streaming service (Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.) will need its own specialized version of the channel app.  It is not unusual for a channel to announce that it is available in a given region, but the update of their Roku app to be able to run there lags behind.

If a particular channel is available in your region via other devices and/or web access but not on Roku, then it's likely the channel has not yet released a Roku version that is enabled in your region. I would suggest you contact the channel about this directly, but don't be surprised if the front line people at the channel do not understand this.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Arete
Level 7

Have you seen my post above?

I've already spoke with Amazon Prime, from their side there should not be a problem regarding country or region, the problem is with ROKU, server or whatever. Prime and HBO Go works on other two streaming devices located in the SAME location, using the SAME internet provider.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Arete-

Roku does not create or maintain the channel apps on Roku, the channel owners do.  Roku just provides the platform on which they run.  If the channel owner has not coded his Roku app to run in a given region, there is nothing Roku can do about it.

Yes, I saw and read your post.  Did you read and comprehend mine?

Repeating with emphasis added:

1. The channel owners must create a version of their channel app for the Roku that is configured to work in that region and provide it to Roku for distribution. Each major streaming service (Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.) will need its own specialized version of the channel app.  It is not unusual for a channel to announce that it is available in a given region, but the update of their Roku app to be able to run there lags behind.

If a particular channel is available in your region via other devices and/or web access but not on Roku, then it's likely the channel has not yet released a Roku version that is enabled in your region. I would suggest you contact the channel about this directly, but don't be surprised if the front line people at the channel do not understand this.

0 Kudos
Arete
Level 7

Amazon PRIME customer service support told me to get in touch with ROKU in order to solve the problem because this issue is not in their courtyard. There is a problem either with the device itself or with settings from ROKU servers...

Whatever, it's now clear to me that I bought a piece of junk, because ROKU sells products without offering any tech support, they divert you to the forum where a lot of users copy/paste answers from previous posts or share their not so good experience with this product.

Anyway, consider this matter closed unless you have a viable solution to my problem. Before I made this post I red and did everything possible to sort it out. I'm still waiting for ROKU to answer my mail.

Regards.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Arete 

Thanks for the post.

Channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos