Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerry_turba
Level 7

Cannot access nor add channels

I have been using the Roku 2710X model for years. Today it says that there is not enough room on the device and I have to delete a channel. I have deleted all but 3 channels and I get the same message when I try to access a channel .If I try to add a channel it says channel installation failed.
I am in California.
I have tried to do an update but apparently there is no update but it did say a new channel was installed,but that did not appear in my channel list.
I have restarted and unplugged the Roku after each effort. 
I did a reset with the reset button on the bottom of the unit.
I have no problem moving around the various menus on the system.
The system test  passed and the wireless and internet connections passed the test.
The Roku is connected via hdmi cable.
I suspect the problem might be with the memory module inside the Roku.
I would appreciate any suggestions or confirmation that the Roku memory has failed.
Thanks
Jerry
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Cannot access nor add channels

From what you've said, it sounds like you might be right about something having gone bad in tbe Roku.

The good news is a Roku Express will do everything your Roku 1 could do, but at a faster pace.

Just get a new Roku.. you'll be happy you did.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jerry_turba
Level 7

Thanks for the reply.
I guess it is time to get a newer Roku
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jerry turba" wrote:
I have been using the Roku 2710X model for years. Today it says that there is not enough room on the device and I have to delete a channel. I have deleted all but 3 channels and I get the same message when I try to access a channel .If I try to add a channel it says channel installation failed.
I am in California.
I have tried to do an update but apparently there is no update but it did say a new channel was installed,but that did not appear in my channel list.
I have restarted and unplugged the Roku after each effort. 
I did a reset with the reset button on the bottom of the unit.
I have no problem moving around the various menus on the system.
The system test  passed and the wireless and internet connections passed the test.
The Roku is connected via hdmi cable.
I suspect the problem might be with the memory module inside the Roku.
I would appreciate any suggestions or confirmation that the Roku memory has failed.
Thanks
Jerry

That is actually an issue that has impacted some Roku devices from time to time. You could purchase a brand new Roku device and still encounter it. It has only impacted a small percentage of users (many impacted will tell you it's impacting most people, but that isn't the case), but it's very frustrating for those that have encountered it.

Roku hasn't yet been able to determine the cause or a single action to fix it. It's a real stumper.

The only thing that's fixed it is a factory reset. Even then, you may have to do that multiple times before it fixes.

That's not what you want to hear, I know, but it's the situation. You're not alone, but you're in a very small group. Small enough that it's difficult to troubleshoot effectively to determine what's causing it.

Having said that, if someone asked me if they should upgrade their Roku device, I'd say "yes" for your device. If you have a Roku 3 (released at the same time) I'd say not necessary. But the lower specs on the Roku 1/SE (model 2710) would lead me to say replace it. I have a Roku 1 by the way. It's in a box, replaced by a much more powerful device. Don't get me wrong; I think the Roku 1 is a generally reliable device, just underpowered for some of the apps that are released today.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jerry_turba
Level 7

Thanks to jeffrok and DBDukes I bought and installed a new roku express. It works great.
Surprisingly during the setup it reinstalled all the channels that I had deleted because the roku 1 said there was not enough room.
Looking forward to many more years with roku.
0 Kudos
logsd
Level 7

I have the same problem with a Roku Express that I have been using for 2+ years.  Now suddenly it says I cannot add anything and can only successfully run Netflix, which is the channel I run most often. Nothing new works.  The system version is up to date as of 10/05/19, and the weird thing is the channels that failed to load on the device (specifically Sling) shows up in my online account as "Installed."  But nothing is available or installed on the Roku express.  Will try the factory reset - I had avoided that up to this point but have tried everything else possible.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

If you are having issues accessing or adding channels, we would recommend that you remove any unused channels on your device. You will then want to try performing a factory reset on the device. This will clear all data and channels/logins, and allow you to set the unit up again fresh. You can see the steps for how to do this here: 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

Please let us know if you run into the issue again after giving this a try. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Fansoffloyd
Level 7

Why should we have to factory reset to make your product work? Won’t we lose all our current channels?
0 Kudos
AdaBeta27
Level 8

Factory reset won't lose any channels because channels are linked to your Roku account, not any individual device.   But reset will not necessarily arrange the "tiles" in the same order that you left them.   Aside from having to rearrange tiles, I just did a factory reset and it was easy.  I did it to fix the issues my one stick was having with failing to authenticate my cable TV account (Spectrum).   Factory reset also installed the latest OS version on my 3600X stick.   There was no need to update the OS after today's reset, which I don't think was true a few years ago.

0 Kudos