Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjsanchez
Level 7

Cannot access all History Channel episodes

I have a strange problem that I cannot resolve. I added the History Channel App to my Roku 3 and activated it using my Cable account. When I open the Channel I see my Cable companies name and logo at the top and I can view the free unlocked episodes of all shows such as Pawn Stars, but when I try to view other seasons that have been unlocked, the Roku immediately takes me back to the Home screen. This also happens on the A&E Channel as well. All other channels that required me to activate using my same Cable Account work fine as do all other channels such as Netflix, Crackle, etc. I was on the phone with Roku support and my Cable company support for over an hour changing settings, password and resetting the Roku to no avail.

Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions on what to do or how to proceed? Thanks.
0 Kudos
39 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Re: Cannot access all History Channel episodes

It's possible it is temporarily not working. I don't have TV subscription so I cannot check, but unless someone else confirms it is working for them I'd just wait ~24 hours. Streaming is NEVER going to work 24/7/365.

I'm guessing Lifetime is down as well, as it is the same developer as History/A&E.

I'm going to ask a dumb question, but humor me. Do you have a cable TV subscription or just a cable internet subscription? Nevermind, it was a dumb question. You said other "TV Everywhere" apps work.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"rjsanchez" wrote:
I have a strange problem that I cannot resolve. I added the History Channel App to my Roku 3 and activated it using my Cable account. When I open the Channel I see my Cable companies name and logo at the top and I can view the free unlocked episodes of all shows such as Pawn Stars, but when I try to view other seasons that have been unlocked, the Roku immediately takes me back to the Home screen. This also happens on the A&E Channel as well. All other channels that required me to activate using my same Cable Account work fine as do all other channels such as Netflix, Crackle, etc. I was on the phone with Roku support and my Cable company support for over an hour changing settings, password and resetting the Roku to no avail.

Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions on what to do or how to proceed? Thanks.

dfgsrzwer'a suggestion is valid. However, I'm like he is in that I don't have a full cable package from my ISP (Comcast). But, I have easy access to family members that do. An authentication worked a few minutes ago, at least with Comcast. So, let's try ruling out an issue with your Roku.

This might not work, but it should be ruled out. Let's look at clearing out stuff and trying again. You've done some steps that are along that line, but I don't see that what I'm about to suggest was done, at least not this way.

First, let's confirm you're not using a VPN.

Next, ensure you have the latest update on your Roku: v7.0 b9044

Next, go into all the related apps and sign out.

Now, on your Roku, delete those channels. After you've deleted them -- and this is important -- restart your Roku.

On your computer, log in to your cable provider.

Now, on your Roku, add one of the channels. Say, History. Follow the on-screen steps and see if it works.

If you're still having problems, try it again, but this time remove the SD card from the Roku 3, then do all these steps again.

If you don't have an SD card in your Roku 3, or removing it and doing all the steps agian didn't matter, we're back to square one. It works just fine on a family member's Roku 3 using a Comcast subscription. Verified it personally this morning.

Roku hardware works. Roku software works. History Channel app works. Comcast authentication works. The difference would by your cable company having authentication issues with A&E Networks servers.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rjsanchez
Level 7

Thanks for the replies dfgsrzwer and Basil. I just performed all of the steps in the order as Basil suggested. Nothing changed. My Roku is running the latest update version. I should have mentioned earlier that my son lives closeby and uses the same cable company as I do. He has a Fire TV box and the History channel works fine on his box. Would there be a difference at my Cable company if you are using a Roku versus an Amazon Fire TV?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"rjsanchez" wrote:
Thanks for the replies dfgsrzwer and Basil. I just performed all of the steps in the order as Basil suggested. Nothing changed. My Roku is running the latest update version. I should have mentioned earlier that my son lives closeby and uses the same cable company as I do. He has a Fire TV box and the History channel works fine on his box. Would there be a difference at my Cable company if you are using a Roku versus an Amazon Fire TV?

One wouldn't think it would make a difference, but obviously there is something that's different. If it's convenient, take the Roku to your son's location and try authenticating there. It could be some weird combination of things, and a different local network might make a difference.

One other thing: it was implied, but not explicitly stated, so I'm going to specifically ask: are you able to watch History Channel on your TV via cable? Is your son able to watch History Channel on his TV via cable?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
rjsanchez
Level 7

Basil, yes both my son and I can watch the History Channel on our TV's. That is a great suggestion about trying my Roku at his location. I will do that tomorrow and let you know what happens. I really appreciate the help!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

There is one other thing. If, while at your son's location, you authenticate to your cable provider account and it still doesn't work, have him try authenticating with his cable provider account. If it works on his and not yours, your provide account has an issue. Your provider would need to fix that. If it still doesn't work with his authentication, report back. That'll take some serious thought about what to try next.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
rjsanchez
Level 7

OK,I just tried it at my Son's house. Uninstalled the History channel, rebooted the Roku and authenticated. Same problem. My son then authenticated using his Cable login and again it does not work. So I'm left with two possibilities:

1. My Roku 3 is defective

2. Our Cable provider is having an issue between them and History Channel.

I really doubt my Roku is defective since all other channels work. So I will call my Cable company tomorrow and see what they can find.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"rjsanchez" wrote:
OK,I just tried it at my Son's house. Uninstalled the History channel, rebooted the Roku and authenticated. Same problem. My son then authenticated using his Cable login and again it does not work. So I'm left with two possibilities:

1. My Roku 3 is defective

2. Our Cable provider is having an issue between them and History Channel.

I really doubt my Roku is defective since all other channels work. So I will call my Cable company tomorrow and see what they can find.

Gotta ask, because it's not explicitly stated... After your removal/reboot/reinstallation, you authenticated an it didn't work. Did you do the removal/reboot/reinstall before your son tried his authentication?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
rjsanchez
Level 7

Yes, we removed the channel, unplugged the Roku, waited 30 seconds, plugged back in and then authenticated with his ID. It always says the channel has been authenticated whether we use my login or my son's, but throws us back to the home screen if we try to watch an unlocked episode. I performed the same steps for the History channel on his Fire TV and everything worked fine.
0 Kudos