Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cannot Open YouTube

Hi 

It has been a few days that I cannot open YouTube on my TV. Before that, I had no problem. Can you please help me resolve the issue?

Thanks

Saber

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Cannot Open YouTube

Did your system get the update to firmware version 9.3.0 recently? Find out via Settings > System > About. Lots of people are reporting problems with loading channels with 9.3, especially Youtube and YouTube TV.

Several people with problems after receiving the 9.3.0 update have reported success via the suggestions in this post:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Roku-Streaming-Stick-remote-fails-after-new-system...
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Can you explain the solution to this issue?  We are having the problem as well.  Everything works except youtube TV.  We have tried deleting and reinstalling the app.  We have tried unplugging the Roku and restarting it.  Youtube TV still will not load.

Highlighted
Level 15

I can't explain it as I haven't yet received 9.3 so I have no personal experience with it. All I can do is pass on what some other people have said worked for them. See the link in my previous reply.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
Highlighted

Thanks for your reply, 

I checked the software version, if I recall correctly, it was 9.2. I updated the software and not it is working fine.

Regards

Highlighted

I just updated the software and it is working fine.

Ragrards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

We've tried everything and it's still not working on 3 different Roku devices.  Two external boxes and one integrated TCL television.  We have 9.2 and when we try to update it says it's up to date.  Youtube TV works on our phones and ipads, so it's not a login issue.  It's only a problem on Roku devices.

Thanks for trying to help.  I don't understand how the link posted by makaiguy applies as that was a problem with a remote volume control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

@mollymcl wrote:

We've tried everything and it's still not working on 3 different Roku devices.  Two external boxes and one integrated TCL television.  We have 9.2 and when we try to update it says it's up to date.  Youtube TV works on our phones and ipads, so it's not a login issue.  It's only a problem on Roku devices.

Just checking for an update, I think, only compares version numbers, but doesn't check whether the version installed is functioning properly or whether its support data is still intact.  Just as with a computer, to really make sure you have an uncorrupted channel app, you should remove it and install a fresh copy, via this procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.

2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.

3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
From home screen, Settings > System > System restart. This assures no remnant of the old installation remains in the Roku's memory. It may or may not make a difference, depending on what's causing your problem, but it's worth doing.

4. Reinstall the channel.

5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

@mollymcl wrote:

I don't understand how the link posted by makaiguy applies as that was a problem with a remote volume control.

The link was given in the context that if the problem was related to having firmware version 9.3 installed, there have been a ton of problems reported. The link suggests a method that people in a number of different threads have reported helped them with their 9.3 issues. If you don't have 9.3 you can just ignore it, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse.  The link happened to be in a thread about a tv-remote link issue casued by 9.3, but the first paragraph is the more generic solution for "using the system without lags or issues" as a result of 9.3.  He then went on to address the specific issue of that thread.

Highlighted
Level 8

Again, I thank you so much for taking the time to type out a detailed response. 

We have tried all those things with no results. I finally resorted to doing a factory reset on the Roku-integrated TCL television. Even starting completely from scratch, we ended up with the same result. All other apps work, just not YouTube TV.

I’m really stumped here. Maybe it is a problem on the YouTube TV end. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Each channel creates, provides, and maintains its own channel app as well as deciding and programming its features. Roku only provides the platform on which the 3rd party channel apps run. You should direct your questions and concerns to the channel. (Exceptions are the two channels provided by Roku, The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. For these you should contact Roku.)
0 Kudos