Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MissouriTim
Binge Watcher

Cannot Open Motortrend Subscription

I paid Motortrend through their website. I downloaded the app, both from the Roku Store and from within the Roku app on my devices. All I get for my $4.99 is a black screen with their name on it. For two days I've been trying to get assistance and answers from Motortrend's chat bot "customer service" and the best it can come up with is to ask if I'm using "the latest version of the program, there are two (?)" The question mark and parenthesis are theirs, not mine. I reckon they are not sure how many versions of their app they have.

I'd already sent them the Version and build number of their software, so you see the level of incompetence at Motortrend.

Does anyone know about this elusive later version of their software that they evidently did not share with Roku? What I downloaded from the Roku Store was Version 6.17 Build 1.

I'm giving these dullards at MT until Tuesday evening to get my subscription turned on and streaming to my devices (it works fine on my PC) or I'm cancelling my subscription. I am also beginning a social media campaign to pressure the FIA to revoke Motortrend's license to broadcast the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the World Endurance Championship due to gross incompetence. If you see my petition floating around I'd appreciate your support.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot Open Motortrend Subscription

Have you tried reinstalling the Motortrend app?

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About)

FYI, the correct procedure to re-install an app on Roku:

1)  Remove the Motortrend app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2)  RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3)  Re-install the Motortrend app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

MissouriTim
Binge Watcher

Re: Cannot Open Motortrend Subscription

Thank-you @StreamerUser for your response - the effort is greatly appreciated.

I tried all of that prior to even contacting the buffoons at Motortrend. I'm an experienced streamer with years of experiencing virtually every glitch content providers can stumble into. The MT apps I installed-deleted-system restart-reinstalled-deleted- repeat... came either from inside the Roku app, or from the Roku Store on-line. I didn't bother with the Apple or Google stores. I don't like doing business with them any more than I do directly engaging with Motortrend. My equipment is more than compatible and the all four of the devices' operating systems are current, booted and rebooted.

Technical support at Motortrend (along with journalistic integrity and basic competence in any endeavor) is non-existent. When Howard The Supervisor wrote, and I quote, "there are two (?) " referring to their MT apps, the "(?)" say all one needs to know about Motortrend's competency to stream anything. I suspect their glitch involves me being a multiple time return customer but having only the option to turn my subscription back on through the single portal that awards a week of free service to new customers, but that's just my surmising.  Or, one of the dolts could have spilled a Coke Zero on a server rack.

I'm a once a year subscriber for a month to watch the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It's worth $4.95 to see the practice sessions and qualifying that the MT gangsters won't show on their broadcast channel in Philo. I reckon I'll be missing that this year.

I posted here out of curiosity and in case others are experiencing the same issue. I doubt they get many subscribers so probably not. I solved my issue by canceling my single month subscription and demanding they delete my credit card info and delete my account in total. Not a penny of mine will go to Motortrend again other than what ever of my $20 Philo subscription goes there way.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
neals49
Reel Rookie

Re: Cannot Open Motortrend Subscription ROKU/Chrome Cast

Same issues, only plays on my desktop. Will not Google cast will not ROKU... 

BS issues now days, they should have all these kind a issues resolved.

So any answers are Ideas. 

ALL other channels on ROKU work find and Google Cast works with everything else I have tried.

Reset both devices same issue black screen with Motortrend... Wasted my money? Looking that way.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @neals49

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

If you haven't tried yet, I'd recommend starting with @StreamerUser's suggestion above. 

However, if the problem continues, we suggest reaching out to the channel's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. In that case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
neals49
Reel Rookie

Have tried all ideas on that I have found online...

I guess its all about money and poor quality, There is enough of us idiots to keep paying for poor service.

I guess the actual fix is cancel and move on... 

Neal,

0 Kudos
Rhelms

Here it is December and I just purchased this subscription for my husband unknowingly it had these issues and well guess what it still doesn’t work. Looks like I’ll be canceling my service as well. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Rhelms

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Motortrend support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CEasey

The problem is there are two apps for Motortrend. There is Motortrend+ and Motortrend On Demand. Roku has the Motortrend On Demamd app. Anyone who signed up using Apple or Google has the Motortrend+ app. 

However, the subscription info is not being shared between the apps even though same login works.

0 Kudos

I removed my subscription and then signed up for it again. Fixed mine!