Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Cannot Connect to ESPN through Spectrum

For new users of Roku it's "trial by fire." Roku charged me $4.99 to connect to ESPN (one month's fee) just to learn I cannot connect because my Spectrum subscription doesn't include ESPN.  This is the 21st century, the age of the internet - Roku knows they cannot sell me the ESPN signal, so why charge me $4.99 before sharing that information? How much money does Roku rake in every year with this scam?

January 7th my fiber optic line will be installed and I'll cut Spectrum loose (for blocking ESPN) and likely switch from Roku to Amazon's "Firestick."  I can't even phone/contact a person at Roku to discuss their thievery. No Ohio State vs Clemson for me tonight -dirtbags!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Ripped off by Roku

Something is wrong here, if your Spectrum account had espn you wouldn't need to pay, you would use you spectrum credentials to turn on the espn app for free. If you paid for the app, it doesn't matter what spectrum has or not. Check the app, there may be two ways of turning it on, with credentials, or with proof you paid directly for the rights.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Several things are wrong here - Spectrum does not provide ESPN with internet service so it doesn't allow anyone else to supply it over their internet service. They can't stop my Ooma phone from using Spectrum internet, but no third-party ESPN.

And why does Roku invite me to sign up for ESPN knowing Spectrum is my provider and doesn't allow ESPN?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

third base

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku took my money but no connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I get my service from roku but if you pay for starz or epix or something and have a show on roku watch they will show you it come up on any other movie provider but the one you pay for. Rampage has come up on hbo and cinamax but never on stars and you can't tell me it hasnt played on starz in almost a year. So don't pay for their movie packs because unless you are willing to check it every day if a show comes up on you roku watch they wont show you it on the movie channel you pay for. oh before you pay for that channel the movies will constantly come up but after you pay forget it it its all a game to get you to pay for ALL the movie channels when your lucky to be able to toss out your money on 1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@LarryMaloney wrote:

Roku took my money but no connection.

It would seem that you signed up for ESPN+, which is a paid service from ESPN and is $4.99/mo. Note that during the signup process, it tells you what you are paying for and what it includes - I have done this myself and had already learned what this service offered by simply visiting this web page: https://plus.espn.com

You didn't get "ripped off", you paid for an add-on service from ESPN you clearly rushed through.

If you're going to pay for something, I'd suggest you spend an extra minute researching what it is before paying for it.  If it's not what you want, you may want to cancel the service so that you don't get billed for it again. 

In the end, it is ESPN requiring a cable subscription for their services, not Roku. You will not find anything different with a Fire stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

optikhog, your scenario isn't the facts, at all. I'll GLADLY pay $4.99 per month for Roku's connection to ESPN. That's why I gave my credit card information and purchased it. The problem is that Roku took my money and AFTERWARDS denied me the ESPN access stating my contract (service) with Spectrum won't permit them to deliver.

My first complaint with Roku is why accept my money? Roku knew beforehand they wouldn't deliver the product. 

My second complaint with Roku is after accepting my payment and then refusing to deliver ESPN, Roku won't refund my $4.99.  

How many Spectrum customers get their money stolen by Roku each year with this tactic?

My complaint against Spectrum is they won't allow the ESPN signal to be delivered over their cable wires although I have Spectrum internet but won't buy Spectrum cable TV.

My solution to the Spectrum restriction is to switch to ATT and their superior Fiber Optics cable.  They allow Roku's ESPN signal to transmit over their cleaner, faster fiber optic cable. I've scheduled the switch early in January. And I will likely file a co-defendant lawsuit in federal court against Roku and Spectrum. Roku can explain to a judge and jury why they accept, even encourage, payment for a product they don't have and/or won't deliver. That sounds like fraud and breach of contract to me.

And maybe Spectrum can explain to the same court why I cannot purchase ESPN without buying a much more expensive (and unwanted) cable movie package. Their reasoning will be interesting considering ATT and other service providers do not restrict their users from buying 3rd-party services. My view is their tactic of forcing me to buy the expensive package is restraint of trade and monopolistic. Roku is an enabler, in layman's terms. I'll let a judge decide. Her application of the facts will be more accurate than yours.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hmmm, my last message disappeared - I'll re-create it later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

optikhog, you confuse yourself by mixing your experience with my complaint.

Roku ripped me off by accepting my money and not delivering what I purchased. Where's my refund? Roku knew Spectrum would block the delivery of ESPN, so why sell it? Let's find out how many consumers are cheated this way each year.

Spectrum ripped me off by not allowing ESPN to transmit over their cable. ATT and other internet providers don't block the ESPN signal.

A judge and jury will better understand the law than you. Roku can explain to the judge why they are selling a product but not delivering. And Spectrum can explain to the same federal judge why they interfere with free enterprise.  

0 Kudos