Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Athshean

Cannot Cast BBC iPlayer from iOS Device

Hello

I just purchased a Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  and I have been trying to cast to it from my iPhone. I have been able to cast using YouTube, Netflix, and Plex. However, I have not been able to cast using BBC iPlayer.

i have already made sure the iPlayer app is on my iPhone and is up to date, and I have added the channel to my Roku device. But I am still unable to cast to it, and the device does not appear in the cast menu for iPlayer (although it does for the other apps).

could someone let me know what the issue is and if there is a way to cast from my iPhone to the Roku?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot Cast BBC iPlayer from iOS Device

Roku's casting/mirroring protocol support includes:

DIAL (casting), Miracast (mirroring), AirPlay (casting & mirroring), Play-on-Roku (casting)

Roku does not support GoogleCast/ChromeCast (casting & mirroring) protocol.

NF/YT use the DIAL protocol to cast (casting works).

Apparently the BBC iPlayer app only uses GoogleCast/ChromeCast protocol - it does not support AirPlay-casting protocol (casting doesn't work from iOS devices - works from Android devices with GC/CC protocol support, but not with Roku, since no GC/CC protocol support)

Unless and until either Roku adds GC/CC protocol support, or BBC iPlayer adds DIAL or AirPlay-casting protocol support, you wont be able to cast (you'll need to AirPlay-mirror it, which may only partially (audio) work).

0 Kudos