Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fatfingers
Level 7

Canada/US Issue

I purchased my first Roku device in the USA and set up an account while we were there. There original Roku still lives in Palm Springs. We have since purchased another device in Canada and logged into the same Roku Account. My issue is the we subscribe to Crave TV but I cannot locate the channel. My sister-in-law has Crave in Canada and can get it on her Roku Device. Crave is only available in Canada. Is my issue due to my original account being created in the US? And, if so, is there a work around? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Canada/US Issue

When a channel is limited to certain regions, a Roku registered to an account in a different region in most cases will not be able to receive that channel.  For your situation, you would need to link your US-based Roku to a Canadian-based Roku account. 

Sometimes the IP you use when linking may also lock your account in to the location of that IP and prevent you from receiving channels not released to that region, so this would be best done via a Canadian IP location.

To link to a new account, you would need to do a Factory reset to completely wipe the Roku's memory via Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset.  You'll then have to set the Roku up as if it were new and connect to the desired account. 

• IMPORTANT! When linking your device if you are directed to go to roku.com/link type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up at a scammer's fake Roku site where they may request you to pay bogus charges and will collect your payment information to use as they wish. If you end up at ANY site not on roku.com (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Canada/US Issue

@Fatfingers

Thanks for the inquiry.

The issue you are experiencing is due to the region where your original Roku account was created.

If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address' reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please be aware that we would only recommend this for your specific device that you are trying to watch content from a different region.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos