Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can you Voice search in Youtube app?

Jump to solution
I purchased the Roku Ultra but I am disappointed in that it seems I cannot search by voice in the YouTube app. I tried a few times but always get a can't do this response. I had called Roku support  before purchasing it and was told I would be able to. I watch a lot of YouTube videos so being able to search YouTube by voice is important to me.

Was I misinformed or am I doing something wrong?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Can you Voice search in Youtube app?

Jump to solution

@edwardotis Thanks for the notes here. Channels may currently choose to support text entry input from the Roku mobile app, or not to support this feature. If you are not able to use your mobile keyboard to enter text into a field within a channel, it's likely that the channel has chosen not to support that feature. I'd recommend following up with that channel provider directly to share your feedback and interest in being able to use that functionality within their channel. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution
If you use the mobile app, you can use voice search for anything, via the voice keyboard built into Android or iPhone..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
"cosrocket1" wrote:
I purchased the Roku Ultra but I am disappointed in that it seems I cannot search by voice in the YouTube app. I tried a few times but always get a can't do this response. I had called Roku support  before purchasing it and was told I would be able to. I watch a lot of YouTube videos so being able to search YouTube by voice is important to me.

Was I misinformed or am I doing something wrong?

Voice Search in YouTube is broken for me in the 8.0.0 build 4184 firmware. I can't use it to search only the Roku channel that I have open.

Right now, Voice Search only returns spam from Roku partner channels that I don't have installed and don't want to use.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
The Roku app keyboard is not compatible with YouTube search in 11/2019 Roku app Android. (Same with Amazon prime, and others. Very disappointed.)

You must use the YouTube app on your phone to search by keyboard or voice. Your search results will show up in the history on the Roku YouTube app, and you can then use that with one click.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

that just awful. I also realized that search working only in Netflix but not in amazon or youtube

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@edwardotis Thanks for the notes here. Channels may currently choose to support text entry input from the Roku mobile app, or not to support this feature. If you are not able to use your mobile keyboard to enter text into a field within a channel, it's likely that the channel has chosen not to support that feature. I'd recommend following up with that channel provider directly to share your feedback and interest in being able to use that functionality within their channel. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Thanks,

Tanner

@cosrocket1 @RokuTannerD @edwardotis 

I am in the same boat as you, needing this as a feature, especially for YouTube, which is the primary channel I use on Roku. I was also led to believe that the Roku Ultra remote's voice search would work in the YouTube channel. I'd rather not have to use my phone since that's basically just casting from a device which could already be done without an Ultra.

The primary reason I upgraded to the Ultra was for the remote's voice-input ability, since there are a number of input dialogs throughout the Roku/channels that require input and it's a pain having to type with arrow keys. It'd be great if we could do this with the Roku remote's voice input and not have to use a separate device. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Honestly the support for Roku and especially Roku in Canada has been terrible.. I'm constantly dissapointed with my purchase as it does little more than a PlayStation or Blu Ray player with internet connection.. voice controls are faulty or minimal at best. No support for Netflix the number one streaming service .. overall I believe it to be some marketing tactic to get our money 

0 Kudos