Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DesertViewer
Level 9

Re: Can we get Peacock thru Roku?

@Toddwrtr wrote:

Roku Support keeps sending me e-mails in response to this issue saying that we need to contact the content provider. The content provider keeps saying we need to contact Roku.

Does any of this sound familiar? Like when your old cable or satellite service was in a dispute with a content provider? Similar to when DISH and HBO couldn't come top terms, so they told the customer to contact the other party? I feel like a child whose parents are bickering and keep telling me to ask the other parent.

It wasn't that way until Roku started trading on the stock market. In their early days, it was about building a user base. Now, it's all about making shareholders happy. To be fair, Peacock and HBO Max had months to make a deal with Roku and Amazon. These services were in the pipeline late last year. They should have been able to make some kind of agreement in that time period.

The thing is I invested in Roku products because they had the best interface and the most apps for the best value (I wasn't going to buy two Apple TVs).

0 Kudos
nicolaoddo14
Level 8

If you own an xbox the apps for both peacock and HBO max are available. This is my workaround until Roku comes to their senses. 

0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

@DesertViewer wrote:

@pwagnereno wrote:

Have you been above to get Peacock?

On the TV in my bedroom with built-in Android TV, yes.

I remember a time when streaming services would launch without having to play hardball with Roku. Good times.

This is a consequence of the growth of streaming. With more people cutting the cord, advertising becomes more important to companies looking to transition to streaming. Unfortunately, for consumers like us, it can be a source of frustration. I am very much pro-Roku, but the fact that I have to have a second platform available just to guarantee I have access to a select few networks that aren’t available through Roku is an indication of the potential growing problem for streaming platforms going forward. Have said it once, will say it again, if I could legally record to DVD from streaming as I can from my satellite DVR, I would have no issue transferring full time to streaming especially if I can get access to everything I pay DirecTV for currently for a fraction of what I pay. 

Until that day comes where I can do that, I’m sticking with DirecTV. Seeing that I would still have to deal with periodic carriage disputes isn’t real encouraging though. Hopefully, they can compromise. It would show consumers that Roku can resolve issues like this in a quicker way than when things like this happen with cable/satellite companies.

Bobster-6
Level 7

I am fairly new to streaming and have recently installed ROKU devices on all of the TVs in my house. I had seen all of the advertisements about Peacock launching on July 15 and I couldn't wait to install the channel  to my ROKU account and was excited to see it in the list for adding new channels. However once installed I opened it up and all that is there is an app for changing the screen saver. No other content. When will they start adding content to the channel? I am VERY disappointed!

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

@Bobster-6 wrote:

I am fairly new to streaming and have recently installed ROKU devices on all of the TVs in my house. I had seen all of the advertisements about Peacock launching on July 15 and I couldn't wait to install the channel  to my ROKU account and was excited to see it in the list for adding new channels. However once installed I opened it up and all that is there is an app for changing the screen saver. No other content. When will they start adding content to the channel? I am VERY disappointed!

You installed a Peacock SCREENSAVER. It's not Peacock TV. Somebody is taking advantage of people like you who are too lazy to read the actual description of the channel.

0 Kudos
Bobster-6
Level 7

Thanks,

You are correct. I installed the Screensaver only, by mistake. I just removed it for now. I will pay more attention to exactly what I am installing in the future.

0 Kudos
Shailender
Level 7

Hey guys, I actually dumped the ios version of the peacock app and it seems to have a directory named "Roku" in it with a couple of files also named Roku, the ios version also seems to store the files for the other versions, so it looks like the developers had the intent to make Peacock available to Roku

Toddwrtr
Level 9

And that is what NBC/Universal has been saying all along. It is Roku that is blocking Peacock TV from being available on our Roku devices. Roku wants a cut of the ad revenue and access to viewing data, per the industry trade articles that I have read

@Shailender wrote:

Hey guys, I actually dumped the ios version of the peacock app and it seems to have a directory named "Roku" in it with a couple of files also named Roku, the ios version also seems to store the files for the other versions, so it looks like the developers had the intent to make Peacock available to Roku

MoviesProbably
Level 10

@Toddwrtr wrote:

And that is what NBC/Universal has been saying all along. It is Roku that is blocking Peacock TV from being available on our Roku devices. Roku wants a cut of the ad revenue and access to viewing data, per the industry trade articles that I have read

@Shailender wrote:

NBC/Universal has already offered Roku 15% of the ad revenue and Roku said no. Roku wants to control at least half of the ad content (which given that Peacock only has between 2 and 5 minutes of ads per hour is asking a lot) and census-level user data in order to program their own ads for users across multiple apps. Since Roku looks to make $600 million this year in ad revenue, it's clear that Roku's new business model is selling it's users ads. Nothing more. Not their hardware, not offering the most apps, not having an open platform, not providing good service. Just making money by spewing commercials at us on as many apps as possible. 

Iona-D
Level 13

".........Since Roku looks to make $600 million this year in ad revenue, it's clear that Roku's new business model is selling it's users ads. Nothing more. Not their hardware, not offering the most apps, not having an open platform, not providing good service. Just making money by spewing commercials at us on as many apps as possible.........."

Nicely put.  I could not describe it better myself.  More accuractely ALL businesses are created to generate/bring in as much money as possible for it's owners and shareholders.  Even the so called non profits.  The only ones not in it for the money seem to be the shoestring run organizations relying on simple cash donations and some sort of exchanges in the form of volunteering to survive.  

Back to Roku and other streaming platforms, it still is the same pattern.  Some are more so and some less so.  I gravitate to the "less so."  I leave as much flexibility in my end as possible to move about and find the best services that take as little as possible from me, whether in the form of straight cash and/or data mining.  

There are really no "bad guys" here IMO.  Just another good example of rampant greed.

0 Kudos