Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btighe4
Level 7

Can't play playlist on youtube

I find my Roku incapable of playing any of my playlists from youtube.  It'll play playlists from other channels, but not ones I've made.  It plays one video, then stops.  And I know it's a Roku problem and not a youtube problem, because on my mobile it plays the same playlists no problem, but as soon as I connect the mobile to Roku, then the problems start.  The loop and shuffle buttons disappear, it only plays one video.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't play playlist on youtube

Sorry, it is a YouTube problem, not Roku. Google owns YouTube, and they create the app (channel) for all devices. So while Roku is the platform, YouTube is the channel, and Roku has no control over how it works.

You can't compare using an app on one device with the "same" app on another device. In most cases they are written in a different programming language, and are running on a different operating system. So it's immaterial if it works on your mobile, because it's not the same app. Your phone is likely either Android or iOS, and neither of those OSs are compatible with Roku devices. It may look the same on all devices, but it's completely different under the skin.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
btighe4
Level 7

So wait, when I hit the link button, it's opening a different app?  Where's that other app coming from?

It is an Android.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@btighe4 wrote:

So wait, when I hit the link button, it's opening a different app?  Where's that other app coming from?

It is an Android.

When you use the YouTube app on your mobile device (iOS or Android) and then cast the video to Roku, it actually launches the YouTube app on Roku. You're then limited to the functionality of the YouTube app for Roku.

There is mirroring capability by Android devices to Roku -- casting and mirroring are not the same thing, although some companies refer to mirroring as casting -- but that isn't supported by all Android devices. That's a whole can of worms right there. This tells more: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos