Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfriedlund
Level 7

Can't link NBC app to Roku

When I try to use the NBC app or one of their network apps I'm asked to go to the website and enter the code. I go to the website, enter the code and when a list of cable providers should display a spinning wheel is all that loads.......forever.  I've gone to the help support, cleared my cache, used different browsers, laptops, phones, etc.  but it never displays any options.  When you click on the "see full list" it says nothing is available.  This has been going on for over a week.  I've contacted NBC support twice but got no response.  This used to work, what can I do?

5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Can't link NBC app to Roku

@jfriedlund 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@jfriedlund wrote:

When I try to use the NBC app or one of their network apps I'm asked to go to the website and enter the code. I go to the website, enter the code and when a list of cable providers should display a spinning wheel is all that loads.......forever.  I've gone to the help support, cleared my cache, used different browsers, laptops, phones, etc.  but it never displays any options.  When you click on the "see full list" it says nothing is available.  This has been going on for over a week.  I've contacted NBC support twice but got no response.  This used to work, what can I do?

Keep in mind that you must link the NBC app to your cable provider.  To do that, create an account, sign in, link to your cable provider. go to nbc.com/activate and enter the code that appears on your screen and select your cable provider. But even if you've done that, there are times I can't watch a show the next day as I get an authorization error even if my NBC app is linked to my cable provider. 

0 Kudos
52free
Level 7

IMPORTANT: cable provider and internet provider are not the same.  If you have cut the cable then you most likely are using Internet provider NOT cable provider.  There should be no reason to link NBC to a provider.  I hope this helps

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@52free wrote:

IMPORTANT: cable provider and internet provider are not the same.  If you have cut the cable then you most likely are using Internet provider NOT cable provider.  There should be no reason to link NBC to a provider.  I hope this helps

Except watch the NBC app, you must link it to your cable provider, not your internet provider.  There are shows that you can watch without linking the app, but in order to watch the current shows, particularly the locked episodes, your device needs the proper authorization which requires you to link the app to your cable provider.  So yes, there IS a reason to link the NBC app to a cable provider. 

0 Kudos
Hejira1976
Level 7

Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone. I’m having the exact same problem. It doesn’t matter which device I try to link my provider with. I enter the code generated on my Roku into a web browser, and then the browser never produces a list of providers to choose from, just a spinning wheel.

Are you by any chance connecting to the Internet on your Roku via a mobile hotspot or something like Verizon or T-Mobile’s 4G home Internet?  I wondered if it might have something to do with that.

0 Kudos