Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meriadoc
Level 7

Can't get subtitles on some Amazon Video titles

Hello, I'm hard of hearing and I depend on subtitles for all my TV and movies. I'm in the UK.

I've noticed that some movies on Amazon Video are have subtitles which work in the PC/Mac browser players but aren't available on the Roku set-top box. 

For example, I recently purchased Blade Runner 2049 from Amazon Video which is advertised as having English subtitles, however when navigating to it in the Roku's Prime Video app, the "CC" is not shown in the information page for the movie, and if I try to turn on the subtitles via the * button, I get a message saying "Captions not available for this video".

I also have the same problem with Grand Tour season 2. I've had to watch it on my laptop because the Roku doesn't pick up the subtitles. However, Grand Tour season 1 showed perfectly with subtitles on the Roku. The "CC" is shown on the Roku for season 1 but not for season 2. 

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here? are more movies being released by Amazon with some new subtitle format which is not supported by the Roku?

I raised the issue with Amazon 3 weeks ago but I am still waiting for a response, they are "looking into it".

Roku details:
Model: 4200X - Roku 3 (UK)
Serial Number: 6225AT014910
Software version: 8.0.0 build 4143-04

Thanks in advance!

Mediadoc
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Can't get subtitles on some Amazon Video titles

It is up to the providers to decide if their videos have captions, and on what devices these captions are available. Unfortunately there's nothing that Roku can do about that. I don't have that particular title in Amazon, so I can't check it for captions. Also remember that providers like Amazon offer different versions of media for different regions, and even then they might offer something on one platform (PC browser) but not another (Roku).
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
meriadoc
Level 7

Thank you for responding, very much appreciated.

I notice you have several Roku models in your signature - I just wondered if it was possible for you to try Grand Tour season 2 to see if the subtitles are working for you?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"meriadoc" wrote:
Thank you for responding, very much appreciated.

I notice you have several Roku models in your signature - I just wondered if it was possible for you to try Grand Tour season 2 to see if the subtitles are working for you?

I've played GT season 2 in the past to test HDR playback, and I recall that captions were working then. If I don't forget, when I get home this afternoon I'll check it on both my 4 (on a 1080 set) and Ultra. I can also try it on my Sharp Roku TV, as it's also 4K HDR capable, just in case.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Just tried The Grand Tour, Season 2, episode 1, and captions were displayed. The info page says subtitles, not CC. This was with my Roku 4 on my 1080 plasma set.
Dan
0 Kudos
meriadoc
Level 7

That's very interesting, is it possible that Some Amazon titles have a subtitles format which is supported in the Roku 4 but not the Roku 3? On my 3 I have never seen 'subtitles' in the Roku information page, it only says 'CC' or not.
0 Kudos