Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anonymouse_oOOo
Channel Surfer

Re: Can't add Disney Plus channel – region is incorrectly set to Mexico instead of US

Jump to solution

I belive that Roku should speak to Disney+, you represent thousands of users - the effect of me sending them an email is nothing in comparison.
And why would Disney+ make an effort to make their content available on Roku in regions that Roku themselves don't support?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to add Disney plus to 'My Channels'

Jump to solution

@Amtorder wrote: 

So we recently got disney+ in Dubai yet Roku has not opened that channel for us yet? ...

That is not Roku's decision. Roku allows any app to work anywhere. However, Roku allows the app developer (Disney, in this case) to choose where to allow their devices to work, or to not work.

Roku itself is not supported in Dubai. You did not buy a Roku device in Dubai from an authorized Roku dealer. Any device sold there was imported through unofficial channels. Roku does not have a presence in Dubai and is therefore unsupported there.

Many app developers have chosen to not support a Roku app where Roku itself is not supported. Disney is one of the developers who made that choice. Netflix, by the way, did not make that choice, and will work there. Disney's app not working is because Disney (not Roku) made that decision.

Disney does support their service on other devices, including your computer. I do not know if Disney supports Google/Android TV devices there, or if they support Amazon Fire TV devices there, or if they support Apple TV devices there.

Roku lists the countries where it is supported in a link at the bottom of the Roku home page. You will find 17 countries currently supported.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: Can't add Disney Plus channel – region is incorrectly set to Mexico instead of US

Jump to solution

@Amtorder wrote:

With all due respect, why should I consider replacing my roku with another player when all my other subscriptions are working on it. also i will have to replace 3 roku devices in my home. Its a lot easier and cheaper to just cancel my disney+ subscription and just wait until they behave and put it on roku for international viewers....

That is certainly your choice. However, be aware that more and more developers are not supporting their apps in regions where Roku itself is not supported. Roku is supported in 17 regions only, so most of the world falls into that category.

Disney may decide to act like Netflix and support their app everywhere. Or they may continue to not support their service on a device that itself is unsupported.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
anonymouse_oOOo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

There are two solutions:

1. Roku could expand their support to more regions. Why won't they? They say their device will work in any country already. And then the service providers (Disney+) will open their service to those new regions/all regions.

2. Disney+ does as Netflix and Youtube and open up their services (more or less) all over the world.

As this is a Roku forum I would recommend the first approach....

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@anonymouse_oOOo wrote:

Roku could expand their support to more regions. Why won't they?...

Things are not always as simple as simply declaring you're going to sell stuff there. Each country has its own regulations regarding electronic devices. In the USA, there is the FCC, since the devices transmit and receive radio signals (WiFi, etc). In the UK, it's Ofcom. In other countries, it's whatever bureaucracy is in those countries.

And while not calling out any country, particularly none of those in the discussion so far, there are many where bribes and kickbacks are simply how things are done. I'm not declaring any moral superiority in the USA, UK, Canada, Mexico, Germany, France, or any of the other 11 countries where Roku has a presence (these things happen, but are illegal), but various cultures have different ways of doing business.

Some require certain presence in country, including manufacture or assembly percentages be maintained. There are a lot of different regulations and expectations from the various countries.

And when you manufacture or assemble in other countries, you have different USA regulations that then enter into the mix. There are certain parts that cannot be exported to other countries. There are tariffs, raising the cost of things. There are local labor demands. There are many many many things that have to all work just to sell a $30 streamer. And, after all is said and done, you have to make money.

It's not as easy as "just expand there." Yes, other companies have done this. But Apple, Amazon, and Google are a lot bigger companies with a lot more resources.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
anonymouse_oOOo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah, I understand that. And that's why I put my Roku Mediastick+, which I btw bought on Amazon (international/USA), in a drawer and bought an Xiaomi Mi TV Stick (from China) in a local store here in Norway - with channels like Disney+, Amazon Prime TV, HBO Max, Netflix, Paramount+, Youtube etc.

It's not my loss...

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@anonymouse_oOOo wrote:

... Roku Mediastick+ ...

Um, not familiar with that model. Are you sure it's an actual Roku device and not some foreign knockoff?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Amtorder
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have netflix, youtube, prime and EVEN apple TV+ on roku here in dubai. The only thing that doesn't want to be on Roku is disney. The only ones that are being difficult. For years we bought devices from apple imported here when apple had no presence and they worked fine. My guess is disney want roku to meet their geo-restricting demands. Btw apple tv devices wont allow u to use Disney+ until u switch itunes accounts to a local one. So apple is being more strict for disney than for themselves. that proves that disney are being difficult and nobody else. 

0 Kudos
Amtorder
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Please tell me what support are you talking about? I buy a roku stick, i plug it in. I register with my dubai credit card (something other platforms wont allow) and i watch whatever subscriptions i have that are available here. Didnt need anything from roku for anything…. Until now when i needed customer support for my disney issue. But maybe u arent referring to customer support so what support are u referring to? Cause as a device its been working just fine and better than an android or fire stick cause ive tried those. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Amtorder wrote:

.... Didnt need anything from roku for anything…. Until now when i needed customer support for my disney issue. But maybe u arent referring to customer support ...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You are in an unsupported region. Roku has made it clear that you are not entitled to support.

Here in the USA, if I have an issue, they have an obligation to support me within the terms of service. That does not exist for you, or for anyone outside the 17 regions where Roku is supported.

Now, if you ask a question here, they'll respond and try to help, but they are under no obligation whatsoever. Any support you get from them is above and beyond what's required. You are in a "use at your own risk" situation.

That's true for any device you purchase outside of a supported region. If Apple wasn't supported there, Apple would be under no obligation at all to assist you.

DBDukes

0 Kudos