Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NTC
Streaming Star

Re: How to add Disney plus to 'My Channels'

Jump to solution

I was replying to someone living in Latin America, who should be able to read the discussion.

But if you are curious, it explains how to add Disney Plus using a channel code, which you can do from a computer after logging into your account. After you log in, it takes you to your account page, and from there you should see where to "add channel with a code".

Apps developed for Roku has to list regions where the app can be added to a device. The problem with Disney's app is that it has not been updated to add Latin America or any other place that was allowed on November 19, 2020. The app on Roku is dated November 2, 2020. So although, technically, Disney needs to update their app with updated regions, I also agree that Roku can help by advising Disney that they are many people asking Roku for help when the problem lies with Disney.

0 Kudos
ignacioguzman01
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks 

i will try that

it says with the code in Bold you can try add Dinsey plus channel

i will try that maybe that works

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
NTC
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Let us know if it works!

0 Kudos
ignacioguzman01
Channel Surfer

Re: Cant add disney plus To My Channels

Jump to solution

This is the translation for who dont know spanish. Hope it helps 

also i will test and let you guys know

translation:
Hi, I found this answer on another blog: Since there is practically no help from the technical service, neither ROKU nor DISNEY, I began to look deeply into the matter and for countries that cannot add the channel directly, we only have the alternative of accessing through a code. In the upper right corner where the menu is, you have to access the account of each user and look for the option to add channel through code and place the following: DPLUSWORKAROUND

I hope that with this they can solve the problem as I did. Best regards I hope it works.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Roeleveld wrote:
Again, I disagree.

Roku should have a contact method with the app-development and management team for Disney Plus and should be able to inform them that the app/channel availability does not match the service availability.

You have no idea what Roku might be doing in the background. Perhaps they have reminded Disney of the need to make the changes, perhaps they have not. But in the end, it's not Roku's responsibility. They provide the platform, and other than The Roku Channel they provide no content. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ignacioguzman01
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry guys, the code doesn't work.

3FADFEF2-B7EE-4F63-9C2D-3956D865ACD7.png

0 Kudos
Roeleveld
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

You have no idea what Roku might be doing in the background. Perhaps they have reminded Disney of the need to make the changes, perhaps they have not. But in the end, it's not Roku's responsibility. They provide the platform, and other than The Roku Channel they provide no content. 

As long as Roku doesn't actually indicate they are actively doing anything to resolve this issue, how can we tell? Roku is providing the product and are advertising support for Disney Plus, nowhere in their advertising do they mention they geo-restrict actual apps.

Roku is NOT honest about the actual situation in their marketing material and are also guilty of geo-restricting stuff where they are responsible. Most obvious example being the Android app to control the device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku is being perfectly honest. I promise you the caveat about geo-fencing is included in the fine print. Is it prominent? No, but there's no need for it to be. Where Roku does most of their marketing, i.e the US, those channels are all available, although not on every device. And it's not Roku's job to state what devices are supported, as that isn't under the control of Roku.

Roku is not geo-restricting anything other than The Roku Channel. That's because the contracts they have with the content owners specify where they have permission to stream their content. For the other channels, the channel creators all have total control of they geo-fencing. For content owners like Disney, they might still have an agreement in place with another provider, such as Netflix, to allow the other provider to stream their content. By contract, they can't stream what they own in that location. This has happened with many titles that were available on another service and the actual owners of the content cannot stream it themselves while the contract with the other service is valid. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Roeleveld
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am missing proof here. If the fact that Roku is geofencing apps to services that have geofencing themselves to prevent the use of those apps in areas where the services are available is actually listed on their marketing material, provide a link. Without proof, you are just making this up.

Disney and netflix do the geofencing themselves, which is a completely braindead method of working. Especially as a shop will be available in the Netherlands, but in Germany, the show isn't available. (Netflix being the sole-owner of the content). It even gets worse where the language options change as soon as you cross a border. For comparison, it's as braindead as limiting a show to 1 state and neighbouring states don't get that show.

As I said before, and you are clearly ignoring, my problem with Roku support is that they don't actively contact the app-providers to make sure apps are available in the same regions as where the service is available.

My other problem with Roku is that they do the same in the Google app-store by restricting access to the Roku mobile app (to control a device I paid for) to certain regions.

0 Kudos
Roeleveld
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I disagree. Roku should be able to work with Disney Plus to make the app available on the supported regions.

0 Kudos