Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pndmnd

Can't Log-in to AcornTV on Roku despite paying for subscription through Roku.

I have had an Acorn subscription through Roku for a couple of months now and it has worked fairly well.  Today I was watching a show and it kept reloading.  I found instructions on the Roku site to try removing the channel, rebooting the Roku device, and re-adding the channel.  I did this, but now AcornTV is telling me to sign-in to my account or to subscribe.  I try signing in, but it just tells me that there is no account with my e-mail address and to add a subscription.  I already have a subscription (again, through Roku), so I don't want to create a new one and get billed twice.  

I've searched the message boards and not found a solution.  I found one post referencing two different AcornTV apps on Roku (seemingly one for those who subscribe through Roku, and one for those who subscribe directly through Acorn), but there's only one app option showing up on my device.  I know that the Roku customer service isn't great and will likely just respond with an automated message telling me to contact Acorn (which doesn't help, since the subscription is through Roku), but I'm hoping maybe someone else has had the same problem and found a way to resolve it.

28 REPLIES 28
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't Log-in to AcornTV on Roku despite paying for subscription through Roku.

@pndmnd 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look online at your Roku account at my.roku.com and clicking Manage Your Subscriptions to see your current subscriptions.

I'm suspecting that you purchased a subscription to Acorn TV through the Roku channel. Have you tried accessing Acorn TV through the Roku Channel on your Roku device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Wiczoksor

Acorn TV not working. Error “Access to this resource is forbidden by access policy.”

My account is paid up through 4/2021 yet access to channel is forbidden.??? Why??.

Karc1983

Re: Can't Log-in to AcornTV on Roku despite paying for subscription through Roku.

I am having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix to this? I don’t want to be billed twice and keeps telling me no email on file....

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Acorn TV not working. Error “Access to this resource is forbidden by access policy.”

@Wiczoksor @Karc1983 

Thanks for the inquiry.

How are you subscribed to Acorn TV? Did you subscribed through the channel provider directly or did you subscribe through Roku Pay? In addition, how are you trying to access Acorn TV, are you watching Acorn TV through The Roku Channel or through the channel directly?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lindqurc

Re: Acorn TV not working. Error “Access to this resource is forbidden by access policy.”

I am subscribed to Acorn through Roku. I just set up a new Roku TV and I cannot log into Acorn.  I was able to get into BritBox - same situation - but not Acorn.  Any suggestions.

JacquieKI

Why doesn't anyone answer this question!!!??? Very clear to me that everyone is asking the same exact thing.. WE PAID FOR ACORN THROUGH ROKU...WE ARE ON ROKU AND, YET, ACORN WONT LET US IN. Fix it...tell us how to fix it..

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JacquieKI 

Sometimes the confusion lies with the explanation itself.

Some of these Channels are stand-alone Channels (AcornTV).  Pay Acorn for services.

Some of these Channels are partnered Channels (AcornTV on Roku Channel).  Pay Roku for Services.

You cannot access "AcornTV on Roku Channel" from the AcornTV Channel and vice-versa.  AcornTV on Amazon Prime is another example, you have to watch Acorn from the Amazon Prime Channel if so subscribed.

You seem to have "AcornTV on Roku Channel".  Two ways to watch.

1. Go to the Roku Channel.  You will see your Acorn program there.

2. Launch your "AcornTV on the Roku Channel" app/channel (Not the "AcornTV" app/ Channel, see the difference - not the same).  You will not be asked for any login creds when launching the "AcornTV on the Roku Channel"

You cannot use them interchangeably, you must use the one you are subscribed to.  There are different launch/app Tiles/boxes associated as well that are on your Roku Home Screen.  The Tile will actually say AcornTV on the Roku Channel.

Hope that helps clear it up.  Unless you have another problem and I misunderstood.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Sillybeagles
Reel Rookie

YES! Same problem with my Acorn app on ROKU this month and last. Received the same advice, but from ACORN TV support, to take off the app on my ROKU home page, re-install it but then ACORN kept telling me I had to log in. I cancelled my ACORN subscription via ROKU today because I didn't want to keep paying twice for the month as I kept being told the pw and user name with ROKU would not let me in the ACORN app and then the pw and user name I set up with an ACORN account last month would not work either. So, ACORN received twice the subscription for this last month. I am done with them. Halted the ROKU subscription today, requested ACORN delete my account, and I highly doubt they refund my overpayment.

I am beyond DONE with ACORN. Love the shows but hate the tech support.

Sillybeagles
Reel Rookie

Up until last month, I had a subscription through Roku for ACORN and had added the channel which popped up on my home page in ROKU. BUT last month and today when I tried to log in to ACORN on ROKU, it gave me a page saying to "log in to an existing account", "browse the channels", or "subscribe to ACORN". It did not just start on the channel's home page like before. My pw and user name with ROKU was put in and ACORN said it was incorrect. When I put in the ACORN TV user name and pw, it said to use the one for ROKU. I did. I have logged into ROKU today to cancel the subscription to ACORN TV so it does work!! I didn't mean to **bleep** into your reply; it's just beyond frustrating. I think it is the ACORN TV channel itself as I could not remove a show from our "Watch List" when we were done with all six seasons of "Wire in the Blood" no matter what I did; tech support said it was a problem and they were working on the channel. Never could resolve it.