Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCt1
Channel Surfer

Can only connect to three channels

Jump to solution

I can only connect to three of my available channels on roku

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can only connect to three channels

Jump to solution

Thank you. That all helps tremendously.

I'll start off by saying the original Express came out in 2016, so it's almost a six year old model. They did make one significant update in 2017, but nothing major since then. It's still the base Roku available, single band wireless, and limited memory for channel storage and operations. 

All the channels you listed are of course available in the US. Since one channel has since began working, it's possible there was some sort of networking hiccup that your ISP was having, and might still be with the ones that don't work. 

The usual first step to try when a single channel isn't working is to uninstall the channel from the Roku, reboot the device (critical step that cannot be skipped), then to reinstall the channel. You've indicated problems with four different channels, it's still a step I'd recommend. 

What might cause issues with channels already installed? Sometimes there might be an interruption in the data flow when an update is installed. Perhaps a thunderstorm miles away from you that hit the lines your provider uses. Lightning can of course cause problems within an electrical device, even without a direct hit on your home. Or just some glitch somewhere on the network that provides you with Internet access. 

The Internet has a system of addressing each device connected on the network, and it's all a series of numbers (IPv4) and mixed number/letters (IPv6). To translate those digits into an address that we recognize (such as roku.com) the Internet uses name servers. Sometimes the name servers get bad information from a site, or it too might suffer a data corruption. When that happens (not often, but it does happen), the Internet site can't be reached, and devices like a Roku or Fire TV can't connect to that site. That is another possibility for the failure. Issues like these tend to be resolved fairly quickly, depending on the name server your ISP uses. Some services run their own name servers, and wouldn't be aware of a problem unless someone reports the issue to them.

There is another test you can try, if you have a smart phone or tablet with cellular service. You can turn on the hotspot on your phone or tablet and connect your Roku to the Internet that way. This eliminates any ISP issues, and can help isolate if the problem with the Roku. If the channels all work as expected when using the hotspot, then you know it has nothing to do with the Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

atc98092

Jump to solution

Oh bummer. I was really hoping it was an ISP problem. When I need to talk about technical things, I always worry that I'm making it too simple for someone that understands what I'm saying, and getting too technical for someone who doesn't know about it, and in most cases really doesn't need to know. If you'd like anything explained further, I'd be glad to help. 

So, I would suggest the remove/reboot/install one each non-working channel. Even though it would take longer, I suggest doing them one at a time. Sometimes fixing a problem for one channel might resolve the problem on the others. Worst case scenario would be to do a complete factory reset, and set it up like it was brand new. That clears out all the installed channels, leaves you with the basic operating system, and gets you back to ground zero. If it all fails to resolve the problem, then the device is probably defective.  

Dan

atc98092

Jump to solution

@SCt1 wrote:

Remove/Reboot is that two different things. 

Yes, that's two different steps. To remove a channel, you highlight the channel tile, then press the * button. Remove channel will be one of the menu options. Once it finishes removing the channel, all of the coding for the channel is still there until you reboot. The best way to reboot is to go into the Settings menu. I don't have an Express, so the menu might be slightly different. There might be a Power menu setting, or you might just see a System Restart. This will cause the Roku to reboot, and once you're back on the home screen you can install the channel fresh again.

Caution: you want Restart, NOT Reset. If it asks you to type in a PIN, stop, because you've hit the Reset menu.

The other way to reboot is to simply pull the power cord for 30 seconds. Can't mess that one up. 😄

Dan

13 REPLIES 13
atc98092

Jump to solution

You need to provide much more information.

What is the model of Roku you have? Model number, not just the name. Where are you located (country)? What channels are working, what channels are not? How are you connected to the Internet: WiFi or wired, who's your ISP?

Dan

SCt1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You want a little too much info.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Then no one can help you. These are the basics to be asked when there's specific channels that won't work.

If the channels you are trying to access are what Roku calls private channels (the only way to add them was by entering a code on your Roku user web site), support for those channels was removed some months ago. Private channels are no longer available, and anyone that had them found them either non-functional or removed completely. 

Dan

0 Kudos
SCt1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

These are channels I always had access to, now I don’t.

0 Kudos
SCt1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s a roku express, I live in the US. I just got Netflix back I can’t access roku channel,  Pluto, peacock, prime video

0 Kudos
SCt1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Model number-3910RW

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thank you. That all helps tremendously.

I'll start off by saying the original Express came out in 2016, so it's almost a six year old model. They did make one significant update in 2017, but nothing major since then. It's still the base Roku available, single band wireless, and limited memory for channel storage and operations. 

All the channels you listed are of course available in the US. Since one channel has since began working, it's possible there was some sort of networking hiccup that your ISP was having, and might still be with the ones that don't work. 

The usual first step to try when a single channel isn't working is to uninstall the channel from the Roku, reboot the device (critical step that cannot be skipped), then to reinstall the channel. You've indicated problems with four different channels, it's still a step I'd recommend. 

What might cause issues with channels already installed? Sometimes there might be an interruption in the data flow when an update is installed. Perhaps a thunderstorm miles away from you that hit the lines your provider uses. Lightning can of course cause problems within an electrical device, even without a direct hit on your home. Or just some glitch somewhere on the network that provides you with Internet access. 

The Internet has a system of addressing each device connected on the network, and it's all a series of numbers (IPv4) and mixed number/letters (IPv6). To translate those digits into an address that we recognize (such as roku.com) the Internet uses name servers. Sometimes the name servers get bad information from a site, or it too might suffer a data corruption. When that happens (not often, but it does happen), the Internet site can't be reached, and devices like a Roku or Fire TV can't connect to that site. That is another possibility for the failure. Issues like these tend to be resolved fairly quickly, depending on the name server your ISP uses. Some services run their own name servers, and wouldn't be aware of a problem unless someone reports the issue to them.

There is another test you can try, if you have a smart phone or tablet with cellular service. You can turn on the hotspot on your phone or tablet and connect your Roku to the Internet that way. This eliminates any ISP issues, and can help isolate if the problem with the Roku. If the channels all work as expected when using the hotspot, then you know it has nothing to do with the Roku.

Dan

SCt1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I thank you, that’s a lot of info for someone who’s not tech savvy. I’m using my phone Hotspot, as I always do. I have since lost Netflix. the only channel I can get now is tubi.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Oh bummer. I was really hoping it was an ISP problem. When I need to talk about technical things, I always worry that I'm making it too simple for someone that understands what I'm saying, and getting too technical for someone who doesn't know about it, and in most cases really doesn't need to know. If you'd like anything explained further, I'd be glad to help. 

So, I would suggest the remove/reboot/install one each non-working channel. Even though it would take longer, I suggest doing them one at a time. Sometimes fixing a problem for one channel might resolve the problem on the others. Worst case scenario would be to do a complete factory reset, and set it up like it was brand new. That clears out all the installed channels, leaves you with the basic operating system, and gets you back to ground zero. If it all fails to resolve the problem, then the device is probably defective.  

Dan