Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PugBandit24_7
Level 8

Can channels be recommended?

My niece had started watching a show on a channel called iQiyi. We've been watching the show on this channel using an iBook laptop and desktop. Very difficult due to screen size. Some highlights are featured only on YouTube. Which allows for a larger screen experience. But we're not getting the complete show series. I own 3 devices and I wanted to be able to watch the show on a large screen but Roku doesn't carry the channel app. I've seen people wanting for this channel app to be offered through the Roku store. The app is accessible through mobile phones as well. 2 years ago I purchased a 40"Samsung smart TV. Surprisingly I found the app on their channel store through my Samsung TV. This is a great discovery but the downside is the other HD TVs are not smart TVs. So there is no way to download the app. With 3 Roku devices that doesn't help either if the channel is not being offered. Has anyone recommended the channel? Has the company considered adding it to their channel lineup?

10 REPLIES 10\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can channels be recommended?

For the most part, anything that can be streamed/played on a phone, laptop, or computer can be viewed on your larger TV screens.  Since this is your first posting, not sure if you are trying to promote a website or looking for a solution to a problem.

If the small screen issue is a problem for you, then try mirroring it to your Roku from your mobile devices.  If you find you can't mirror from the phone or IBook laptop, you can always use a HDMI cable from IBook, select the HDMI Input from your TV's remote and watch it that way on your TV.  Many casting apps (free and paid) that can also be used to cast online content to your Roku.  Web Video Caster is a great one.

This can be done, again, for anything that be streamed online.   

Can also contact iQiyi directly and let them know you enjoy their programming and see if they are interested in developing a channel directly for the Roku.  Sometimes I see niche sites/channels have a Live TV channel on the Roku Channel and their other content solely online.  

https://www.iq.com/intl-common/feedback.html?mod=us&lang=en_us&entranceId=PCW/H5_navigation&agentTyp...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
PugBandit24_7
Level 8

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

I have already tested this and it does not work. Yes, you can mirror from a phone provide the device your mirroring to supports it. As I stated I own a smart TV. Mirroring is not a problem. The tv also offers the app through the channel store. So it's no problem. But we also own two other older TVs that are not smart tvs. They are standard HD tvs. There is no way to mirror to those types of televisions unless there is way to make them smart tvs. The Roku cannot mirror the app as I've tried it and it doesn't work. 

But thank you for that advice. I'll have to do a little more research. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

You can certainly make a recommendation to Roku about a suggested channel, but remember that Roku themselves do not create channels for other providers. They welcome providers creating channels for Roku devices, and offer a number of free downloadable programming tools. But they don't create a channel for a provider themselves.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@PugBandit24_7 wrote:

There is no way to mirror to those types of televisions unless there is way to make them smart tvs. The Roku cannot mirror the app as I've tried it and it doesn't work. 

Adding a Roku to those TVs make them "smart". Same with adding a Fire TV or other external player. As far as screen mirroring, Roku doesn't mirror the app itself. It simply mirrors the screen of the other device and that device is what is running the app. You might be thinking of "casting" an app. Roku devices do not in general accept casting an app. There are some exceptions, such as playing a video on YouTube and casting it to the YouTube channel on the Roku. In that case, the Roku itself is actually streaming the content, but that requires a matching channel on the Roku. 

There are a number of devices that can screen mirror to a Roku. Both Windows 10 laptops and Android phones and tablets can do so. Again, the app runs on the device, not the Roku. You're merely seeing the smaller device screen on your TV through the Roku. And of course most Roku devices now support Apple AirPlay 2, so you can screen mirror an iPhone, iPad or Mac PC. 

Dan

0 Kudos
PugBandit24_7
Level 8

Hello,

I did. Hopefully they'll consider. I really wish there was a way to do this but I guess I'll have to wait.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
PugBandit24_7
Level 8

Also is there a link where I can make a recommendation to Roku? I already sent a recommendation  to iQiyi.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Unfortunately, no there's no real method to suggest a channel to Roku. There used to be a specific place here in the Community to enter such a message, but I just looked for it and it looks like they removed it. Since they themselves don't create channels for other providers, I can understand that. And Roku has no email address to send anything like that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@PugBandit24_7 wrote:

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

I have already tested this and it does not work. Yes, you can mirror from a phone provide the device your mirroring to supports it. As I stated I own a smart TV. Mirroring is not a problem. The tv also offers the app through the channel store. So it's no problem. But we also own two other older TVs that are not smart tvs. They are standard HD tvs. There is no way to mirror to those types of televisions unless there is way to make them smart tvs. The Roku cannot mirror the app as I've tried it and it doesn't work. 

But thank you for that advice. I'll have to do a little more research. 

Almost every  more recent Roku model supports both Miracast and AirPlay2 mirroring, so if your phone/tablet/laptop/PC supports either of those two standards, you'll be able to mirror any content to to those other TVs, presuming you add a Roku to them.

0 Kudos
arial98
Level 7

For the most part, anything that can be played on a phone, laptop, or computer can be viewed on your larger TV screens. Since this is your first posting, not sure if you are trying to promote a website or looking for a solution to a problem. For the most part, anything that can be streamed/played on a phone, laptop, or computer can be viewed on your larger TV screens. Since this is your first posting, not sure if you are trying to promote a website or looking for a solution to a problem.

0 Kudos