Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Can The Roku Media Player or any other DLNA channel (client) keep track or what you watched?

(It has been a few weeks with no responses or comments.  I would still appreciate a helpful reply)

I have a DLNA server built into my Netgear home router.  My library of TV shows is extensive and I often forget which episode I last watched.  Hulu and Netflix keep track of what has been watched.  The RMP seems to know if you want to resume watching at a point you left off for a particular episode (video file) so keeps some history, but does not mark files as having been watched.

Can RMP or another DLNA channel (client) keep track or what you watched and display it visually as you navigate your files/folders?

Regular RMP user
4 Roku 3810x Streaming Sticks
Netgear R6300V2 as Access Point, File, and DLNA Server #1
DLNA Server #2: Raspberry Pi 3, Model B (running Linux 10 and Serviio 2.1)
15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can The Roku Media Player or any other DLNA channel (client) keep track or what you watched?

I would absolutely love this feature as well for exactly the same reason.  Which episode did I leave off at in this series?  I have no idea.  It sure would be nice to see a history.

I was very excited a few weeks back when I noticed the app was updated and all the icons were different. I was hoping this might get added, but it wasn't.

As you noted... it's storing some information so you can resume watching something...  so long as you remember what it was you were watching.  It would be nice to have a menu showing what's available to resume!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Can The Roku Media Player or any other DLNA channel (client) keep track or what you watched?

No, RMP does not keep track of your viewing. Roku devices don't have the memory to store that kind of information. 

However, many media server packages do remember what you watched, and it you stopped while watching allows resuming where you left off. The DLNA server in your router likely doesn't support any of that, again because of limited memory. Media servers such as Plex or Emby do it the best, while generic DLNA servers do offer many of those features. 

Serviio has many of those functions. It tracks the last viewed TV episode and marks the season and episode with an * on the name. It has a presentation view that shows last watched (movie or TV show), and depending on the player supports resume. But Serviio is "just" a DLNA server, so must use RMP as the player. Both Plex and Emby have Roku channels/apps that offer a user experience more like Netflix or Prime Video.

These media servers are installed on a PC or NAS device on your network. It can be Windows, Mac, or Linux based for most of them. And some NAS devices have install packages. But it does mean that whatever device is used it must be powered on at all times, or else you have to start it each time you want to watch something. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

The Roku definitely has the capacity to store a few bytes of information listing the last 5 things you watched or some such thing.  And as mentioned...  it's already doing so as it gives you the option to resume from where you left off if you choose something you were already watching.

This is how I know where I was.  When I finish an episode, I start the next one and then stop it.  When I go back... it's trial and error to get to the last one with the resume option.

FWIW, I've got a Roku Ultra so I've got tons of capacity for storage.  If storage is an issue for the other versions then the feature could only work on the ones with storage...  but again...  we're not even talking MB here...  we're talking bytes...   

I do run a Plex server but have mostly abandoned using it.  It drives me nuts trying to get things to even show up on it.  I once looked into all the nonsense you've gotta follow in naming files to get it to work properly and then promptly forgot all of it so I really only use it when I'm having trouble with a file format not playing through my regular DLNA server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Yes, RMP can maintain some info while you're using it. But if you exit the player and return it won't have that info. Now for a drive plugged into the USB port, yes RMP does retain at least where you left off when stopping playback. Naturally, this only works for Roku devices with a USB port. But it still doesn't retain a last watched or anything like that. At least not from what I've seen.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No...  it definitely retains the info to let you resume watching after you leave the app.  I'm sure of it.

I have the USB port but honestly very rarely use it.  I DID plug an old micro-SD card in though so I've also got tons of local storage on the Roku that I'll never use.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Well, the only thing the SD card is used for is channel storage. I can't say if that aids RMP for storing playback info. I was under the impression it was only for storing the channel code itself. And of course different Roku devices have different amounts on internal memory. I know Roku was working on retaining an index of media from a drive connected via USB, but I have no idea where that index is stored. But I've never heard of it doing so for anything network based. For my devices, I'm pretty sure that information is coming from my DLNA server, not stored on the Roku.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Can we agree though that the amount of storage needed for this is absolutely trivial and not an issue for any device?  I mean...  they've all got SOME storage even if just to save system settings and we're talking about keeping a tiny bit of data about the last 5 things you've watched.

So whether or not they do this can't possibly be storage related.  It seems like they just don't want to for some reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@WildWeasel wrote:

Can we agree though that the amount of storage needed for this is absolutely trivial and not an issue for any device?  I mean...  they've all got SOME storage even if just to save system settings and we're talking about keeping a tiny bit of data about the last 5 things you've watched.

So whether or not they do this can't possibly be storage related.  It seems like they just don't want to for some reason.

Sure, I can agree with that. Smiley Very Happy How much space it takes to store that data is completely dependent on the format they use. It's likely a simple flat file of ASCII text, so should be minimal, depending on exactly what is stored. 

But overall Roku devices are extremely memory limited. Only one device has more than 1 GB or operational memory (Ultra 4670 2GB), and most only have 512 MB. For channel storage space, they all have either 256 or 512 MB, again with one exception (Ultra 4640 1 GB). So I can see Roku not desiring to use up that limited space for something like that. It doesn't take a lot of channels to fill up the channel storage memory, so even a handful of kilobytes might be more than they want to use. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So...  I'm new around here.  Do the Roku people ever drop by and give their 2 cents on these threads?  The OP posted last year and never got a response.  Just wondering if we're talking in the wind here.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos