Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Can Roku Ultra play media files from network share ?

How does one know in advance what a piece of hardware won't do before buying it?  I haven't been able to stream any local media to the Roku, looks like I'll have to find some other device.

And if my ISP is down, I haven't found Roku capable of doing anything I need while waiting for service to resume, big disappointment.  I guess that's another reason I need some other device, b/c Roku practically requires you pay twice before playing any content and won't play any content I bought and paid for 10 years ago.

Streaming from paid services ONLY (reruns of McHales Navy don't count!), so I have to pay for access controlled internet service on top of paying for cable subscription, the remotes are buggy as heck, it makes no sense and I refuse to continue down this path.

Samba is pretty universal I think, my router serves files this way, not DLNA, Roku should support it but has chosen not to apparently, wonder why this wasn't mentioned on the box before I bought it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Can Roku Ultra play media files from network share ?

"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
How does one know in advance what a piece of hardware won't do before buying it?  I haven't been able to stream any local media to the Roku, looks like I'll have to find some other device.

And if my ISP is down, I haven't found Roku capable of doing anything I need while waiting for service to resume, big disappointment.  I guess that's another reason I need some other device, b/c Roku practically requires you pay twice before playing any content and won't play any content I bought and paid for 10 years ago.

Streaming from paid services ONLY (reruns of McHales Navy don't count!), so I have to pay for access controlled internet service on top of paying for cable subscription, the remotes are buggy as heck, it makes no sense and I refuse to continue down this path.

Samba is pretty universal I think, my router serves files this way, not DLNA, Roku should support it but has chosen not to apparently, wonder why this wasn't mentioned on the box before I bought it?

Again another gripe. No Roku has ever supported access network shares, and no documentation ever claimed such. The Amazon Fire TV does not either, and to my knowledge neither does the Apple TV. You can get an Nvidia Shield if that's your preferred method of streaming your media. But DLNA is a perfectly usable way to access your media. 

I cannot get DLNA to run on Roku either, list of playable files comes up empty.  There are MP4's stored in multiple locations across my network.  Why would anyone want so many lmitations the system is rendered useless?
My question was, how does one know in advance Roku is practically useless if it doesn't plainly state so on the box or at least, web site?  This will fail, bigly.

Even the Android Remote app has no capability of accessing files over an intranet, the entire Roku construct is completely useless if the ISP is down.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

My ultra found and played files from DLNA with no problem. 
Plugged a usb Stick into my router, enabled it as a DLNA server, Roku found it and played the files. 
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes Roku Media Player channel found my DLNA server and played the files no problem.

But honestly for local network streaming check out the Plex channel / app. It works great. Just install the Plex Media Server on your NAS or computer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"theuser86" wrote:
Yes Roku Media Player channel found my DLNA server and played the files no problem.

But honestly for local network streaming check out the Plex channel / app. It works great. Just install the Plex Media Server on your NAS or computer.

PLEX has parasitic attributes I wish to avoid, SMB would fit my needs best.

Where is the ROKU DIAL protocol documented and has anyone successfully integrated it in their stand-alone implementation?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

You might find people with more experience with DIAL on the Roku Developers forum https://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=34
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

There is no Channel that does SMB shares directly. DLNA or Plex are your options.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@mike_s wrote:
By "network share," I assume people are referring to Microsoft's proprietary SMB/CIFS. I don't blame Roku for choosing to support the industry-wide standard DLNA, which is not only standardized, but tailored for media applications.

Even Microsoft recognizes that DLNA is the proper solution for media sharing - it's what Windows Media Player uses.

I suspect the complainer doesn't really care whether it's SMB or DLNA, they just want to play stuff. But, they made the mistake of buying a "NAS" device which doesn't support DLNA, so they want Roku to support SMB to fix their mistake.

There are several open source network share protocols and applications, including samba, which uses the smb protocol. smb is not proprietary, and samba has been open source since 1992, before open source was a thing. Samba and file shares using the smb protocol are perfectly fine open source servers for media streaming. Sure, DLNA makes it easier to restrict (read break) media files you own with DRM, and so that may make it more palatable for roku, but no, it's not because smb is proprietary or a Microsoft product. 

0 Kudos