Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can I unplug the Roku streaming stick to access my local channels with a digital antenna?

Jump to solution

Right now, I receive about 30 digital channels that I watch with only a digital antenna. I think I may lose them once I use the streaming stick. So, can I just unplug it to receive my local channels? Or does activating the streaming stick disable my access to the local channels? Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Can I unplug the Roku streaming stick to access my local channels with a digital antenna?

Jump to solution

You do not need to unplug the Roku streaming stick.  You will just need to change inputs on your TV from the antenna input to the HDMI input that you have the Roku streaming stick plugged into.  Your TV has an input or source button on the TV remote.   The streaming stick will not interfere with the channels from your digital antenna.

@KarenK wrote:

Right now, I receive about 30 digital channels that I watch with only a digital antenna. I think I may lose them once I use the streaming stick. So, can I just unplug it to receive my local channels? Or does activating the streaming stick disable my access to the local channels? Thank you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Can I unplug the Roku streaming stick to access my local channels with a digital antenna?

Jump to solution
Yes, you can plug things into any of those inputs. Then it's just a matter of switching your tv to use the input of choice at any time.

This is no different, really, than what you are doing now when changing the channel you are watching. When you switch to a different channel, your ability to receive the others does not go away, they're just not being used at the moment.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@KarenK wrote:

Thanks for the response, HDMIGuy. I just took a look at my TV. Using the remote > input, I have BD System, TV, Video 1, and HDMI1 activated as options. I also see Video 2, Component 2, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, and PC which are inactive. I think when I plug in the Roku Streaming Stick + into the HDMI 2, that I would use this for streaming on Roku. Then to switch back to over the air digital channels, I would switch to TV. Does that make sense? I’m asking the question before I purchase the Roku stick, because I would still like to access the free digital channels. I want the Roku because I have an offer for one free year of Apple TV, so I thought, why not?

You are correct.  The Roku will  not cause any problems with your free digital channels.  Get the Roku Streaming Stick + and enjoy.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

You do not need to unplug the Roku streaming stick.  You will just need to change inputs on your TV from the antenna input to the HDMI input that you have the Roku streaming stick plugged into.  Your TV has an input or source button on the TV remote.   The streaming stick will not interfere with the channels from your digital antenna.

@KarenK wrote:

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, HDMIGuy. I just took a look at my TV. Using the remote > input, I have BD System, TV, Video 1, and HDMI1 activated as options. I also see Video 2, Component 2, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, and PC which are inactive. I think when I plug in the Roku Streaming Stick + into the HDMI 2, that I would use this for streaming on Roku. Then to switch back to over the air digital channels, I would switch to TV. Does that make sense? I’m asking the question before I purchase the Roku stick, because I would still like to access the free digital channels. I want the Roku because I have an offer for one free year of Apple TV, so I thought, why not?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution
Yes, you can plug things into any of those inputs. Then it's just a matter of switching your tv to use the input of choice at any time.

This is no different, really, than what you are doing now when changing the channel you are watching. When you switch to a different channel, your ability to receive the others does not go away, they're just not being used at the moment.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@KarenK wrote:

You are correct.  The Roku will  not cause any problems with your free digital channels.  Get the Roku Streaming Stick + and enjoy.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks again, HDMIGuy. I installed the Roku Streaming Stick+ last evening. Quite simple, actually. And as you said, to access my different media options (Roku, TV, Blu-ray player) I just use my remote and switch to the chosen input. 

Also, I was surprised when I added "Apple TV", I didn't even need to enter my Apple password, my subscription to Apple TV just appeared. Looking forward to watching "The Morning Show".

KarenK

0 Kudos