Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katinissr
Level 7

Can I stream Apple Music to Roku?

I just want to stream Apple Music to Roku but it seems to have a restriction on them. Do you guys have any ways to unlock them? 
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Can I stream Apple Music to Roku?

Not that I know of... I know there's a way to do the podcasts... But if something comes up that would be rad, because after trying Apple Music, I no longer use Spotify.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Actually, Apple removed all DRM from their music files, so there should be no issue playing them on a Roku. Apple still has DRM on their video files. 
What you need is a method of feeding the music files to the Roku. The easiest way is to use a DLNA server, and play them using the Roku Media Player. There are a number of DLNA servers available for most computer OSs. Many are free, but some do cost. I use Serviio myself, along with Plex. Plex can act as a DLNA server, or you can use their channel for playback.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Willywy" wrote:
This limitation should be DRM protection. I also used Apple music for many years to know that its music is protected by DRM. I didn't realize this until I wanted to play Apple music on my new Android device. I used DRmare to (link removed) at my friend's suggestion. It is a great tool for my personal experience. If you need such a tool, I will recommend it to you.

No, there is no DRM on iTunes music. There is on videos, but not music. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Roku is supposed to get Apple AirPlay soon. Maybe Roku OS 10? They have released a date, but playing music on your Roku from your iPhone or iPad will be possible. See link below.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/apple-airplay-2-roku-news/
0 Kudos