Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elbyj
Level 7

Cache Issues on Roku???

We recently switched from the Amazon Fire Stick to a new Roku Ultra.  One item of concern with me is with the Amazon Fire Stick we needed to periodically clear cache in order for better performance.  However, with the Roku Ultra I am not seeing any option concerning clearing cache for the Apps.  I have search this forum, but I have found a lot of references to clearing cache, but no where have I seen anything concerning how to do it!  Most of the postings go back many years and I am not sure if they are still talking about the same hardware we currently have installed.   So my question is:  Is cache an issue with Roku and if so, how do we clear it?  Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Cache Issues on Roku???

I don't believe there's any cache to clear. The Roku stores nothing in memory but the channel software. If you have a large number of channels that exceeds the internal memory, all it saves is a pointer and will load the channel if called for. It will then remove the least used channel that's in storage. The only way to totally clear the memory is to perform a factory reset, which removes everything but the OS itself. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
elbyj
Level 7

Thanks much for the information on the cache memory.  It just seems strange that the Roku has a way to scrub the cache.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I've never, ever seen a cache clear option on a Roku box.. are you sure you aren't thinking of an Amazon fire stick? They're Android based and have some cache issues, and I believe, a way to clear its cache.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
elbyj
Level 7

No, I am referring to a Roku.   Very familiar with clearing cache on the Amazon Fire Sticks.  Previous answer to my question indicated clearing cache is not an issue with the Roku since as you indicated it is not running Android software.   Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Roku uses a modified version of Linux, so not Android at all. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
elbyj
Level 7

Thanks much!  That explains a lot!
0 Kudos
JCServant7
Level 7

How to reset the cache:

23m 0s ) Juanita A: Clear Cache
From the home menu:
Press Home 5 times
Press Up 1 time
Press Rewind 2 times
Press Fast Forward 2 times
It'll go to My Feed, seem like it's doing nothing for 15 or 30 seconds,
then the screen will go black as it reboots.
( 23m 21s ) Juanita A: After this you can try to see if it corrected the issue..
ronban
Level 7

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"JCServant7" wrote:
23m 0s ) Juanita A: Clear Cache
From the home menu:

You could also restart the Ultra unit by the “Settings” > “System” > “Power” > “System restart“ option which is equal to performing the key presses but more user friendly.
0 Kudos