Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctjayhawker
Level 7

Cable logins transfer?

Greetings, all.

My question is this. I currently have an older Roku--might be first generation, not sure. I am thinking of upgrading. I have quite a few channels for which I have had to "authenticate", or what have you, online by verifying my cable provider. If I upgrade, will those authentications move from unit to unit, like the channels in my Roku account, or will I have to do all that over again?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Cable logins transfer?

You'll have to reauthenticate.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ctjayhawker
Level 7

Booooo!  :x 
But excellent pic. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Some channels I have to reactivate often.  I hate it.

I also hate that Roku would be great for people like my parents who pay for HBO thru cable and could watch a lot of shows on HBOGO for example, but would be very frustrated to get into bed to watch a show and have to reactivate the channel.  I could see it now, my mother having to get out of bed, find pencil and paper, put on her glasses, walk up to the TV, write down the code, walk downstairs, turn on all the lights, walk to the den, turn on the computer, go back upstairs to write down the website URL, go back downstairs and type it in, then type it in again correctly this time, then find her username and password, then login, then type in the code, etc.   Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Edit:  I swear on my right nut that I just had an issue now, merely hours after making the above post, trying to sign into Discovery’s app,  I had to do it 3 times, still didn’t work.  Then it worked after rebooting the Roku.  This would have been horrible on my parents with stairs.  They need to come up with a better system, I don’t know why you can’t just login directly in the app on the Roku.
0 Kudos
leehrat
Level 7

that is me to a t. i am old, do not have a cell phone, don't want one, so when i go thru my list of 22 channels to re login in my 6 roku's it take me about 4 hours and a lot of up and down steps. sure wish there was a easier way.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"leehrat" wrote:
that is me to a t. i am old, do not have a cell phone, don't want one, so when i go thru my list of 22 channels to re login in my 6 roku's it take me about 4 hours and a lot of up and down steps. sure wish there was a easier way.

Borrow a tablet/iPad for the task.
Pay grandchildren or nieces/nephews in ice cream to do it for you  Smiley LOL
I am still young and into tech, so I use my iPad or phone and it’s pretty easy for me, but still very annoying and unnecessary, IMO.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

The need to re-authenticate is simply part of streaming devices, whether Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Mi box or other Google TV, or any other streaming device. There's not a lot that can be done about that.

As for making it easier to re-authenticate, a small tablet such as an Amazon Fire Tablet might be useful. The 7-inch models are regularly $50, though you can sometimes find them on sale.

Should you have to buy a tablet? No. But the cable/satellite companies require periodic authentication of apps to cut down on unauthorized using of their services. A tablet might make the re-authentication process easier. And, who knows? You may even find a tablet handy for other things, too.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Edmatthew22
Level 7

"Streams" wrote:
Some channels I have to reactivate often.  I hate it.

I also hate that Roku would be great for people like my parents who pay for HBO thru cable and could watch a lot of shows on HBOGO for example, but would be very frustrated to get into bed to watch a show and have to reactivate the channel.  I could see it now, my mother having to get out of bed, find pencil and paper, put on her glasses, walk up to the TV, write down the code, walk downstairs, turn on all the lights, walk to the den, turn on the computer, go back upstairs to write down the website URL, go back downstairs and type it in, then type it in again correctly this time, then find her username and password, then login, then type in the code, etc.   Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Edit:  I swear on my right nut that I just had an issue now, merely hours after making the above post, trying to sign into Discovery’s app,  I had to do it 3 times, still didn’t work.  Then it worked after rebooting the Roku.  This would have been horrible on my parents with stairs.  They need to come up with a better system, I don’t know why you can’t just login directly in the app on the Roku.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You have to take that up with the channel developer. Roku has nothing to do with individual channel authentication. Since I don't have cable, I have no experience with this type of authentication. But the channels I do use that have authentication (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and several others), YouTube is the only one that seems to lose it's login on occasion. Maybe I've just been lucky. Smiley Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Ouch reading these made me cringe.

I sympathize, when visiting family households I often spend time updating TV app changes and expired TV Everywhere authentications.  Usually involves incognito browser window on my phone as we all have different pay TV accounts.

The TVE "Single Sign On" feature on Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, etc do help in halving the number of basic (no premium) cable apps we have to individually authenticate, though each platform supports an evolving set of networks and providers (handy to keep a list).
0 Kudos