Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bd17
Level 7

Cable channels

My Roku tv has suddenly dropped all my cable channels and will only show streaming or what it calls antenna channels. Tried factory reset. Several channel searches. No result. Shows the channel numbers, but when pressed reverts to channel 2 and all streaming. Any ideas??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
demsd
Level 13

Re: Cable channels

Which cable service?

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Settings > System > About

What is the model number?

What is the OS version?

Give three examples of apps (what Roku calls channels are really apps) that were "dropped." And by "dropped" what do you mean? That they were on the Main Menu but now aren't? Or they are there but won't run? Explain what's happening, and how it's different from before.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
VeryDisgruntled
Level 7

I have both a Westinghouse AND Insignia Roku TV. 

On Sunday (03/11/21) they both stopped showing the channels from my Xfinity cable box and started showing streaming Live TV from Roku.  My Xfinity Cable box is connected to the TV via a coaxial cable.  

Please tell me how to program the Roku TV to receive the channels coming through my Xfinity box (as it has done in the past for about 1 year now)?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

You didn't really answer the questions. You gave a TV manufacturer name, but we still don't know specifically which ones, nor do we know the Roku OS version, which might be important.

A Roku TV is a television set that has Roku software as its "smarts." Roku is designed to be used for streaming, so the fact that it offers streaming apps should not be a surprise.

Now, you certainly don't need to use the Roku "smarts" of a Roku TV, and can treat it just like any old TV. That seems to be what you've been doing, unless you left out some information. 

On a Roku TV, the option for watching cable or other content is possible by selecting the appropriate option from the Main Menu. The TV input is treated like another app, even though it's not really an app. 

That makes me wonder what happened to your TV input menu selection. Knowing the OS version may or may not help. We don't know, because you didn't answer the question.

You indicated you have an Xfinity cable box connected to each TV via the coaxial cable. That may mean you would select the Live TV input from the main menu and turn the TV to channel 3 or 4, and use the Xfinity remote to go to the particular Xfinity cable channel you want.

That's not the normal way one would do that. The primary Xfinity box, at least the ones I'm familiar with, have an HDMI output that would give you much better quality picture than the RF signal from the coaxial cable.

If you are using the small Xfinity boxes that they charge you around $6/month, that would seem to make using the coaxial cable input more sensible, as that's the output they use, not HDMI.

I'm thinking the solution to make things work like they did before would be to determine what happened to the Live TV input on your Roku TV main menu.

Of course, there's another option that might be available that you may not know about. If you are paying $6/month for the Xfinity boxes, and if you have Xfinity Internet, you can actually add the Xfinity app from Roku to your TVs, and watch TV that way. If that works (the experience is a little different) you could return the Xfinity boxes for those sets and save the $6/month rental for each box returned. Just throwing that out there.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos