Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
almostblind
Streaming Star

Do I need a cable provider to activate The History Channel?

I am trying to watch the History Channel but all the shows show a "Key" symbol and it tells me that I have to "Activate" the station. I have logged in with a user name. I choose Roku as my device but it wants my "TV Provider". I don't have a TV provider. Roku is my TV provider. Until recently I was able to watch History and A&E but with the "new" upgrade to 3.0 it will not let me watch anything without activating. Do I have to have a TV provider or is there a way around this? Please help. Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
almostblind
Streaming Star

Re: Cable Provider To Activate History Channel?

The problem is that just logging in does not solve the problem. It shows that all the episodes are locked with a key symbol. When I try to watch an episode it says that I have to "sign in with my provider". I go to History.com/Activate where is wants me to "Activate Your Device". It gives me the option to sign in with Roku, select your TV provider and enter the "activation code". I don't have a TV provider as I just have Roku. I never had this problem before all the latest problems. I was always able to watch History and A&E on Roku without a TV provider. Is this something new? The entire reason I went with Roku is that I don't want to have a TV provider and a monthly bill for a bunch of stations that I won't ever watch.

Virginia45

I’m having the exact problem. Frustrating. Hope Roku gets this fixed. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There's nothing to fix. Some channels require you to have a TV provider of some sort. Satellite or cable are the two most common, but some channels also accept providers such as YouTube TV or Sling. You'd have check with History to see what providers they accept. There are some channel providers that offer a direct subscription without the need for a TV provider, but I have no idea if History has such a plan.

But there's nothing for Roku or anyone else to fix. That's just the way the channel provider (in this case History Channel) has designed their Roku channel.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
modernproverb
Reel Rookie

ROKU change it back to where we could watch the History channel without a tv provider. Grandfather us in b4 the change for a tv provider

renojim

Why would you think Roku is responsible for the change?  It's the owner of the channel that sets the rules.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CINBRO

I have the same problem. once after getting my roku turned back on it did so without history, a&e and amc. i tried everything and each time i thought i had made some progress it always came back to the dreaded

user not authorized. any help would be appreciated, i miss my pickers!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@CINBRO wrote:

I have the same problem. once after getting my roku turned back on it did so without history, a&e and amc. i tried everything and each time i thought i had made some progress it always came back to the dreaded

user not authorized. any help would be appreciated, i miss my pickers!

What/who are you using as an authorized TV provider? And what you do mean "turned back on"? Roku doesn't "turn devices off". Did you contact an online support site for some kind of assistance? If so, you might have been scammed, and they could have taken control of your Roku user account. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Simpson

I'm receiving the exact same message: "user not authorized"

It work for a day or two after installation last month, then went to displaying the message.  I've followed ALL their instructions and am logged in via Cox, but to no avail!  Now I'm beginning o have issues with the NBC channels posting an error connection message.  

NO BUENO!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

User not authorized means the channel provider (History, A&E, etc.) can't authenticate the user account you entered with that TV provider. There could be several reasons for this. One, you haven't entered the user name and password of your TV provider correctly. Two, your TV provider isn't telling the channel provider you have a subscription to that particular channel. In other words, can you watch that channel using your TV provider, or is it not a channel included in your TV subscription? If you only use the cable company for Internet, and don't also have TV service, then you can't use those credentials for logging in.

And of course, the channel provider might simply be having a connectivity issue with the TV provider, and can't confirm your eligibility for accessing their channel.

Dan

0 Kudos