Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtjmc8

Channel Request: CSPAN / CSPAN Channels

Jump to solution

Will Roku be adding CSPAN and CSPAN2 anytime soon?

[post moved and title changed to denote topic]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: CSPAN / CSPAN Channels

Jump to solution

Roku is a platform that offers content providers the ability to offer a channel (app) to customers to access their services on Roku devices. Roku does not build or develop 3rd party channels on our platform. You'll want to reach out to any individual channel or service to inquire as to whether or not they plan to offer their content on the Roku platform. We'd love to see more options available too! 

Let us know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Roku is a platform that offers content providers the ability to offer a channel (app) to customers to access their services on Roku devices. Roku does not build or develop 3rd party channels on our platform. You'll want to reach out to any individual channel or service to inquire as to whether or not they plan to offer their content on the Roku platform. We'd love to see more options available too! 

Let us know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Jeffrey1959
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Tanner, 
Would you folks at ROKU, at least TRY to, help us plead our case to CSPAN to offer their programming on your platform? ROKU has far more influence than we individual viewers.
Personally, I own 8 ROKU devices and have purchased numerous others for family members.
Why?
Because I like the ease of use and wide variety of programming options. However, ROKU not assisting us in obtaining a cornerstone channel like CSPAN leaves a big hole in my opinion of you. Please correct this issue.
Thanks, Jeff

JMM1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've wondered this same thing, why doesn't Sling or Amazon have the channel?

CSPAN is a non-profit "owned" operated by the National Cable Satellite Corporation and I think that pretty much answers our question. Roku is probably not on their Christmas list.

digitalpapa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've resorted to using YouTube to watch C-Span live. I'm not sure if it streams only special events like the impeachment or if it streams all programming but it's the next best thing to having a dedicated C-Span Roku channel. I found only C-Span, no C-Span 2 or 3.

One other option is to cast from your tablet or phone. Others may know this as mirroring their screen.

Thanks,

Leo

Tags (1)
Mike9
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just finished talking to someone at C-SPAN's Research & Programming department. They are up for having their content available via Roku. However, they told me that viewers interested in having the channels available via Roku need to talk to Roku.

So, here I am. Please make/allow C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, & C-SPAN3 available via Roku.

bfelts
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just an FYI the C-SPAN networks are "TV Everywhere" enabled, so in other words you'll have to authorize your Roku against your cable or satellite provider in order to view the channels, if and when they're offered up on a Roku channel of some sort.  (This is just in case anyone thinks these just needed to be added to watch, and that's all there was to it, etc.)

Anyone who really wants this needs to pursue discussions with C-SPAN's side, and connect with the proper person, appropriate level, etc.  Not someone who handles their on-air programming.

C-SPAN would have to hire someone [application] programming-wise to engineer and produce the channel, incorporate the use of the existing TVE-authenticated feed(s), etc..   That's not up to Roku, despite what the R&P person told you.

eeach

Jump to solution
https://www.c-span.org/about/TVeverywhere/#or:

What if I don't subscribe to cable or satellite?
You are able to use C‑SPAN.org to watch our live coverage of all Federal government events. All visitors to C‑SPAN.org will have access to House and Senate debates, committee hearings, Executive Branch events, courts coverage, Campaign 2018 events, and the Washington Journal--live and in the clear, without needing to sign-in or verify as a cable or satellite subscriber. You will also continue to have free access to our online Video Library containing more than 256,000 hours of all current and past political video from C‑SPAN on demand to watch anytime, anywhere.

This is how @digitalpapa gets CSPAN live on Youtube. It's also streamed at cspan.org. But, it's a pain because it's not a continuous stream in either case.

A Roku app would be nice, but I doubt CSPAN is interested in making one. LOL

JMM1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

There are all loads of questions.

The Streaming Wars have just started and the bodies are piling up already.

ROKU doesn't just make little black boxes anymore they make their money from advertising and information. Hulu is not just a fun little site with old tv shows like McHale's Navy. AT&T is not just a phone company they're a giant trying devour everything they can get their teeth in to.

When Streaming companies talk about their business the first conversation is with investors, second is with their advertising partners, last and least important are the consumers, the public.

The Streaming Companies like ROKU, Sling, Prime Video, Hulu, and others don't include CSPAN because it's a non-profit. There is no money to be made-unless you think outside the box. The first Streaming Company to start thinking about the real customers, who are going to make or break these companies, will win. If there was quick money to be made these companies would find a way to include CSPAN with their service free of charge with no advertising.

Tanner, Roku has a great channel, it's called the Roku Channel. Put CSPAN on your channel as a free service (NO ADS) and see how many people come and see what a great place you have. Think outside the box.

Mike9
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Being fairly conversant on how all this stuff works, it looks like a chicken-and-egg kind of thing: Roku would like to have the channels available for consumers to add, while C-SPAN would like to have their content more widely available if someone will "build out" the landing point.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who notices that Roku has a channel. Actually, calling it a channel is a bit off: It is a separate eco-system, and a perfect place to add/leverage the addition of three channels that are not found elsewhere in Cord Cutter Land.

C-SPAN channels indeed have a lot of downtime, providing generous amounts of Advert Hole to be filled, thereby _not_ interrupting programming by running adverts.