Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpsingh
Channel Surfer

How to activate CNN Go on my Roku streaming device

Jump to solution

Unable to activate CNN Go. When I type cnn.it/roku (have tried many browsers), it takes me to the next screen-"Activate your device" but there is place to enter the Activation Code.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hpsingh
Channel Surfer

Re: How to activate CNN Go on my Roku streaming device

Jump to solution

Based on someone's suggestion, I actually deleted CNN Go application and reinstalled on 2 of my Roku devices.  It has worked so far.  I have to try on my other 2 devices.  Hopefully it will work.  Thanks for the input.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Are you located in the US? If not, you might not be able to use that channel. Many/most channels have geographical restrictions on where they can be used, and this could be one example. If you are in the US, you would likely need to contact CNN and ask for assistance with their Roku app.

I also noticed, CNN Go can only be used for unlimited viewing if you have a cable/satellite subscription. Note this comment on their info in the channel store:

*10 minute preview each day, log in with your satellite or cable provider for unlimited viewing.

So unless you subscribe to a TV provider (cable, satellite, or a streaming service such as YouTube TV or Sling) you can't use the channel for unlimited viewing. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
hpsingh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I live in California and have been subscribing to Cable TV for 20 years. Never had this issue before. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Perfect. It should work for you then. It's just the web address you entered in your initial post appears to be an Italian web address.

I tried going to CNN.com/Roku, and it only took me to a page that outlined all the ways to watch CNN on "portable devices". Clicking on Roku there only took me back to the Roku channel store. 

I don't have a TV provider, so I can't say how that channel should be authenticated. Usually with most such channels you have to enter your TV provider's name and your login credentials to activate the channel. If there's a specific web page that CNN uses for authentication, it should be listed within the channel itself. 

Dan

0 Kudos
hpsingh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. I think the issue is bigger/different than that because with my log-in credentials for Direct TV, I am able to watch all other channels. I was able to watch even CNN until a day or so ago. I have 4 Roku devices and have been using them for more than a year. Unfortunately Roku.com itself doesn't offer any support for these issues.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If it just changed recently, chances are good that CNN released a new version of their channel and broke something. The first thing to try is to remove the channel, reboot the Roku (critical step, do not skip), and add the channel back in again. If it still does the same thing, you'll need to reach out to CNN for assistance. They are the developers of the channel, not Roku, and only they can fix something that's broken. 

Dan

0 Kudos
hpsingh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Those are all valid thoughts. Surprisingly, I am able to access CNN Go on my android phone as well as with Apple TV, using the same credentials for Direct TV. I personally think that the issue is more with Roku than with CNN Go app.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The apps on your phone and your ATV are completely different from each other and the Roku app. They may look identical, but they're written in different programming languages and very possibly different programmers. I have no doubt it's an issue with the CNN Go channel on the Roku, but it's not something that Roku themselves have control over. CNN created and maintains the channel, not Roku. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Nosepicker

Jump to solution

How do we get CNN to fix this?

atc98092

Jump to solution

You can reach CNN support here: https://www.cnn.com/help/go.html

Dan

0 Kudos