Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

CNN Go Ending Support For Roku???

The CNN Go app has just started notifying users that they can no longer watch CNN Go on Roku beginning January 4th, 2021. WTF?  Apparently, CNN is dropping all support for Roku. It will still be available on Apple TV products and on Android TV products.

This TOTALLY sucks. I watch CNN more than any other channel on Roku I will not forgive CNN for this. MSNBC on the NBC channel will be my new best friend.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Level 21

Re: CNN Go Ending Support For Roku???

I just checked it in the Roku channel store, and there's no mention about that. I also just did a web search for such information and found nothing. I'm not certain I'd believe that notification, at least until something comes out to substantiate it. Although if it's coming from the channel itself, that would be difficult for someone to hoax. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

I have been checking around, myself. I haven't seen anything on the Roku domain or anywhere else. But, it was plain as day on the CNN Go app, on the CNN tile (bottom left) this earlier today. I just went to take a picture of it with my phone and now it's gone. But, it clearly stated that CNN Go would not work on Roku beginning 01/04/2021, but would still be available on Apple TV and Android TV devices. Don't know why the notice has been removed. Puzzling.

0 Kudos
Level 14

What model Roku device do you have? It could be an end-of-life support issue with a particular older model of Roku device.

But, CNN is a part of WarnerMedia, which is a part of AT&T, which is still negotiating / arguing with Roku over placing the HBO Max app on the Roku platform. So, who knows??

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Level 8

3810RW SS+. Don't think it's a device end-of-life issue. Oddly, the notification isn't there, now. Looks like something is up. I don't think this would have occurred if something wasn't imminent. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw it. Wish I had taken a picture of it, but I suspect I will see it again, soon. Jan. 04 isn't far away.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Yeah, the 3810 is nowhere near EoL. Smiley Tongue But @blade_005 has an excellent point. Use that as another bargaining chip as they work through the HBO fiasco. But I think most users will be like yourself and be angry with CNN, not Roku. Personally, I don't think CNN is much of a bargaining chip either. RIght now WarnerMedia is the one looking bad in all of this. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 13

@blade_005 wrote:

@beachbowi wrote:

The CNN Go app has just started notifying users that they can no longer watch CNN Go on Roku beginning January 4th, 2021. WTF?  Apparently, CNN is dropping all support for Roku. It will still be available on Apple TV products and on Android TV products.

This TOTALLY sucks. I watch CNN more than any other channel on Roku I will not forgive CNN for this. MSNBC on the NBC channel will be my new best friend.

What model Roku device do you have? It could be an end-of-life support issue with a particular older model of Roku device.

But, CNN is a part of WarnerMedia, which is a part of AT&T, which is still negotiating / arguing with Roku over placing the HBO Max app on the Roku platform. So, who knows??

This is not a method of "negotiating!"   This is a direct violation by AT&T's testimony before congress.

AT&T CEO told Senate antitrust subcommittee:
Nor is there any reason to believe we could use Time Warner programming or AT&T networks to hurt related markets. Simply put, it would be irrational business behavior to do so. Time Warner's programming is more valuable when distributed to as many eyes as possible. Moreover, in order to have great programming, it is imperative that we attract great creative talent to develop it. The best way to attract that talent is through widespread distribution of Time Warner content.

AT&T re-iterated this in court filings:

AT&T filing in Case No. 1:17-cv-025111-RJL:
Turner's entire business depends on licensing and advertising revenues, and those revenues in turn depend on broad and uninterrupted distribution of its programs. Whatever revenues AT&T would earn from the tiny percentage of subscribers AT&T [TV services] might gain if Turner went dark on a rival distributor would be vastly outstripped by the licensing and advertising revenues Turner would lose. Turner, accordingly, would no sooner walk away from this "kabuki dance" after the merger than before—and everyone knows it.

This takedown of CNN is clearly AT&T selecting to go dark on Roku.  Everything that could be gained from negotiations was mostly likely offered by Roku to NBC and AT&T back in September.  NBC accepted and AT&T did not.  At this point there is every indication this was never about AT&T attempting to negotiate in good faith.

Other channels available on Roku that we should expect AT&T to remove moving forward:

• Adult Swim
  • Boomerang
  • Cartoon Network
  • Crunchyroll
  • DC Comic Universe
  • Watch TBS
  • Watch TNT
  • truTV
  • Watch TCM

If you are a currently watching anything on any of these channels, you may want to consider getting your binge watching that content as quickly as possible.

Roku will continue to have plenty of other channels and content from vendors that do not make misleading statement before congress and the department of justice.

[Un-]American Telephone & Telegraph is really living up to it's death star logo.

Just because a company has government contracts which get it treated as important to national security doesn't mean it should use that "too big to fail" status to bully Americans.

It is also unbelievable that when the discussion of sources of misinformation is reaching a new peak that AT&T's response is to go dark on Roku, the media player held by over 50% of the market.

Some alternatives to CNN Go on Roku are:

• newsy
  • ABC news
  • NBC news
  • CBS news
  • Bloomberg Media
  • Fox news (with Chris Wallace)
  • YouTube (CNN channel)

There are probably others too that hopefully other posters will bring up.

0 Kudos
Level 13

While AT&T has not actually given any direct evidence of "going dark" on Roku (sic), they have indicated that they are considering a new paid service for channels like CNN, TNT, etc: https://www.engadget.com/warnermedia-cnn-entertainment-cable-streaming-services-200009666.html

Perhaps this message you saw was simply a mistake on their side or perhaps the carrier you're using to authenticate was in some kind of dispute with AT&T which has been resolved - this happens quite a bit as new contracts are negotiated.

Also note that AT&T is reportedly actively seeking a buyer for CNN right now, meaning things may change with this app/channel if they do find a new buyer in the future: https://deadline.com/2020/06/warnermedia-cnn-atlanta-headquarters-att-debt-1202973194/

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@beachbowi 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend reaching out to CNN support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach CNN support here: https://www.cnn.com/help/go.html

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 13

@optikhog wrote:

Also note that AT&T is reportedly actively seeking a buyer for CNN right now, meaning things may change with this app/channel if they do find a new buyer in the future: https://deadline.com/2020/06/warnermedia-cnn-atlanta-headquarters-att-debt-1202973194/

The article you link to indicates that AT&T plans to sell a *building*.  There is no indication in the article that whoever buys the building in Atlanta, Georgia will gain control of anything else related to CNN.

The only thing in the article discussing the possible sale of something app related is them looking to unload Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment video game division.  However, the video game division isn't the one that wrote/maintain CNN Go.  I doubt whoever buys WBIE will get control of CNN as part of the deal.  But given one company rumored to be in potential talks to buy is Activision Blizzard, I kind of like the idea of the news being read to me by a Pandaren and an Orc.

Anyways, I would like to see CNN removed from being under any control by the dark emperor John Stankey, but that article doesn't provide that level of piece of mind.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos