Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RNC
Level 8

CNET App Not Working/Launching

Hi folks, I have six(6) Roku TVs in my home. All of them work fine. However, the CNET App on Roku operating systems do not launch successfully. Yeah you can click on the App, but what happens next it gets stuck and the only thing that appears is the word "receiving". This stays in this mode for as long as one is stupid enough to stay in this mode - as nothing ever happens.

Once you're tired of this and try to hit the back arrow to get out of the App; nothing happens here either. As you're pretty much stuck in purgatory for however one is stupid enough to stay in this second mode of nothingness. So you pretty much have to hit the home key to get out of the app.

Now, I've tried basic troubleshooting, and hit the asterik icon tried to update - and nothing. I've tried sending feedback - and nothing. I've tried removing the app, then going to settings then system and then restart to remove anything in cache - and nothing. There's no number to call  CNET and/or for ROKU. So I thought I'd post here. Its not TV related, so it's either and operating issue with the ROKU platform softwware and/or a CNET App issue - or lastly, the dreaded potential dispute between ROKU with CNET or vice versa.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with their CNET Application not working specifically? And if so... Has anyone got a work around (If there's one other than going online directly to CNET)?  Thanks. 

13 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: CNET App Not Working/Launching

First, is it not working on any device? That would indicate that CNET is having a problem, either at their server side or with their app/channel. But to remove a channel, you must also reboot the Roku before adding it back. Since you have it on six different TVs, you would remove it from one, then restart all six TVs (to ensure it's completely removed from all of them). For a Roku TV, simply turning them off and on is not a restart. You either need to pull the power for 30 seconds or use the Settings/System/System restart menu. Without the reboot, the channel isn't actually removed and if it's having a problem that will still exist. After restarting them all, then add it back in one (the rest will get it automatically the next time it updates) and try it out. If it's still having issues after that, then it's something CNET will have to resolve. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
RNC
Level 8

Thanks Dan. Yeah it's not working on any of the ROKU TVs.  I'm inclined to believe it to be a CNET issue as well. As for my removal of the App itself - yeah I only removed it from two of the six ROKU TVs and did a reboot from the system settings. I didn't remove/reboot all six sets. But from the sounds of this already I'm inclined to believe its with CNET themselves. I'll go around today and tomorrow and remove all the apps and do a reboot along with a hard power down and power up to all the sets in the house and check again next week with a clean installation, one at a time. 

I did call CNET in the San Fran offices here from my home in Pennsylvania and the company name had changed and their now under some kind of a division change AKA umbrella company. So the last thing I'm sure they are worried about is free content on their App. Let's see how next week goes but thanks for taking the time and giving me some feedback. Good looking out. Thanks!

StreamerUser
Level 16

Definitely a CNET app issue:  I installed the app and loaded it, got the endless black screen with "Retrieving..."

Apparently the app is developed by CBS interactive:   cnetappfeedback@cbsinteractive.com

makaiguy
Level 20

@atc98092 wrote:

... For a Roku TV, simply turning them off and on is not a restart. You either need to pull the power for 30 seconds or use the Settings/System/System restart menu. ...

Oops! That menu sequence is for a separate Roku device.  On a Roku TV it's Settings/System/Power/System restart.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Woofies
Level 7

I'm having the same issue in PA trying to watch the CNET channel...  I emailed them to see if I could get a response...  For now I may try to cast form my phone to the ROKU,...

Xanadu
Level 7

@RNC wrote:

...the only thing that appears is the word "retrieving".

Is anyone else experiencing problems...

I'm in the UK and having the same problem. Glad to know that I'm not the only one with this issue.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, reloading, power off/on etc, but just can't get beyond "Retrieving..."

Smiley Frustrated

Roku Express - 3930EU.
RichOrlando
Level 7

I, too, have been experiencing the same issue with my four Roku devices for about a week.   I've done all of the troubleshooting you mentioned, and met with the same results.  Its extremely frustrating to go through this, but I am encouraged to know that the issue is not isolated to my home.

StreamerUser
Level 16

Make sure you report it by emailing CBS interactive: cnetappfeedback@cbsinteractive.com

SuperGonz
Level 8

Last week, it came up, but had no content. This week, retrieving.

0 Kudos