Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: CLOC Time and Weather Missing

"Schmye Bubbula" wrote:
renojim, can you make the secondary sample time's readout in 12-hr format? (Or perhaps make the latter also follow the user's choice for the main clock time in Display Options > Format.)

I think the observation time, or timestamp, is kind of strange. Why use 24-hour format and then have am/pm? The entire string comes right from the report, but I'll massage the time portion into 12-hour format for those not using 24-hour format in the next update; just need to get past midnight EDT to make sure all is well.

Since no one has reported a problem, I'll submit the update to the public channel tonight.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted

renojim, would it be possible to switch to Accuweather.com or some other site that updates its weather data more frequently? I can see in my computer web browser how the present Weather.gov site's current conditions format makes it real easy to grab the numbers, but they apparently update the readings only once per hour (every six minutes before the hour). This causes very tardy readings when trying, e.g., to decide whether to put on a coat before going outside, etc.... When I visit the Accuweather website on my computer's web browser, they doesn't time stamp the update, but on my Android phone app Accuweather shows the update time, and it's much more frequently, always only a few minutes earlier than realtime. If you are able to find a service with more timely updates, I hope you'll also fetch the updates from CLOC every, say, 10 minutes (or make it user-configurable).
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"renojim" wrote:
If you don't have the private version, you can add it here -JT

Hi, Jim!

Would you mind extending the coverage of your 'CLOC' private channel to the UK, so Roku users on this side of the pond can check it out? Smiley Very Happy

Many thanks in advance! Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

I'll respond to the last two posts with roughly the same answer:

It's tough to find free weather information (especially complete information over just the temperature). Most (all?) sources have terms that just don't work on a screen saver (like the requirement to link to a web page). I also prefer the simplicity of entering a postal code (ZIP code in the U.S.) for generating one's location. Sometimes you have to go through different gyrations to convert a ZIP code into a location that the service can use and sometimes it's easy and sometimes not so much. I haven't tried to get weather for anywhere outside the U.S. so I don't know how difficult it would be to come up with a simple method to enter a location.

Having said all that, I'm not real happy with the information weather.gov gives me for my location, so I may start looking for a better provider. This may result in fees of some sort and/or compromises; I just don't know.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I, for one, would cheerfully pay a fee to get more timely temperature updates.
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Have you looked at CustomWeather[/url:3he9u4ra]? Like Accuweather, its web page doesn't show the update time stamp, but...
– –

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Thanks, I'll take a look.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"renojim" wrote:
It's tough to find free weather information (especially complete information over just the temperature). Most (all?) sources have terms that just don't work on a screen saver (like the requirement to link to a web page). I also prefer the simplicity of entering a postal code (ZIP code in the U.S.) for generating one's location. Sometimes you have to go through different gyrations to convert a ZIP code into a location that the service can use and sometimes it's easy and sometimes not so much. I haven't tried to get weather for anywhere outside the U.S. so I don't know how difficult it would be to come up with a simple method to enter a location.

Having said all that, I'm not real happy with the information weather.gov gives me for my location, so I may start looking for a better provider.

-JT

Hi, Jim

Thanks for responding Smiley Very Happy

On the subject of providers for free weather information, there's a few that I've used (here in the UK) although I'm not sure if they match your requirements for 'CLOC' but I'll list them here so that you can investigate further:-

The Met Office (UK) http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

Open Weather Map http://openweathermap.org

Weather Underground http://www.wunderground.com

Yahoo! Weather http://weather.yahoo.com

For the record, I already use the Roku app (from the UK channel store) for 'Weather Underground' and so I know it's good for UK weather... The Met Office (obviously) works for UK but I'm not sure of the accuracy for "world" weather - you'll need to check for yourself... Open Weather Map is an "open source" project so you may even be able to create something from it that will work for you on Roku... and Yahoo! Weather I suspect you are familiar with already but, like I say, they're all proven providers here in the UK - and are known to offer "world" weather information as well. Smiley Wink

Hopefully one (or more) of those will meet your needs, as I'd love to try your Roku channel here in the UK.

Thanks in advance for your consideration Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

I'll check them out. I used to use the Yahoo! RSS feed, but they now require some kind of authorization and after getting bleary eyed reading their Terms, I gave up. Note that just because you can get something using a browser for free doesn't mean that they're ok with scraping their info.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

At least for my location, since weather.gov provides "hyperlocal" weather with a given zip code, it is FAR more accurate than whatever source you used before. The necessity to change weather providers was a blessing in disguise, for me anyways 8-)
0 Kudos