Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Margarita
Level 7

CBS show streaming

My problem is that i cannot get the shows to play on my living room tv roku. The live tv plays fine but when i try to play a show it goes to the sign up screen for entering the tv provider. I use an antenna so do not have a tv provider. I’m really confused because i can play everything on the CBS app on my iOS mobile phone. Why would it let me okay on my phone but not the tv?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: CBS show streaming

CBS wrote the apps for Roku and for iOS (and Android, and Apple TV, and Fire TV, etc). The apps work as CBS wants them to work.

It is not unusual for streaming apps to exhibit different behavior on mobile platforms (phone) than home-based platforms (Roku, Apple TV, etc). For instance, Hulu With Live TV will play live TV content on your phone wherever you are in the US. However, if you take your Roku (or Apple TV, etc) to another city, it won't play. That's because they intend the subscriber to use the app in one location, not multiple locations, on a home-based device. For mobile devices, its designed mobility is taken into consideration and you can watch away from home. The point I'm making is that its different behavior for home-based and mobile devices.

For home-based devices, such as Roku, CBS says this:

With the new CBS app you can watch the latest episodes of your favorite CBS shows for free, no log-in required to instantly stream anytime, on any device. You also have the option to sign in with your cable provider to access full seasons & stream Live TV from your local CBS station

So at home, you can watch the latest stuff, but to watch full seasons, you must authenticate. If you want to watch full seasons of stuff, etc, you must authenticate against a service provider.

For Roku (and Apple TV, Fire TV, etc) devices, CBS offers all of their content via a service called Paramount Plus (formerly CBS All Access). It's $7-10/month.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos