Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

CBS all access closed caption

I have CBS all access on my Roku. Recently every new show that I watch I have to turn off closed captions. It only does it on CBS, not on Netflix or Hulu. I checked my Vizio smart cast and it doesn't do it there either, only on my Roku which is what I always use. Anyone else have this issue?

15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: CBS all access closed caption

I’m having the same issue 

Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem here. I have to manually turn my TV CC off for every CBS app show I watch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

same problem here. It seems to have started for me about 2 weeks ago.  It's very frustrating!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Closed caption started on my cbs all access today. I am having a hard time shutting it off. So annoying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Started last night on CBS News 24/7 and CC is turned off so nothing we can do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

We're trying to turn on CC - did you figure it out?

Highlighted
Level 7

@Wbrig If you're having the same problem we were, there's nothing you can do that I know of other than manually turning it off every time. Mine did it for a few weeks and then fixed on its own (I'm guessing there was an update/patch sent).

If you're just having normal issues trying to find how to turn CC on or off: when watching a show, press the star (asterisk) button on your remote to pull up the side menu. A few options down you'll find the closed captioning options. You can choose Off, On Always, On Reply, or On Mute

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for your reply.  The issue seems CBS All Access specific as we have closed captioning on our other streaming services.  I did try going to the global Roku settings and toggled them on and off.  I then reopened CBS app but still no closed captioning.

Highlighted
Level 7

@Wbrig Ah, ok, that's the opposite problem we were having. For us, the CC was controlled through the side bar menu and worked fine manually. I looked through the CBS All Access channel and didn't see any CC specific settings for them through my TV. But when I watch CBS All Access on my laptop I have the choice to toggle subtitles on/off. I don't know if that control will follow through onto your TV app though. If you want to try it, once a CBS video is playing look to the top right for a little square that says 'toggle subtitles'. Other than that, I'm sorry I couldn't think of anything else other than to wait it out or contact Roku and/or CBS. Good luck though!

0 Kudos