Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8traxrule
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

Doing the free trial but won't be keeping it.

The good: NO logo bugs on the shows! (Reason why I don't watch regular TV anymore.) Shows also have their full end credits.

The bad: Video-based material is at the wrong frame rate, and WAY too much compression overall. No 5.1 sound either. Flipped back and forth between the feed of my local affiliate and over the air during the local news (the Roku feed was about a minute behind), no comparison. And of course, forced commercials during the shows, which I won't pay for. If this were free I'd watch some shows bug-free on it, but just can't pay for something AND sit through commercials- like most streaming services that show ads, they repeat the same ones to the point of insanity.
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 8

"Foolish Hulu Fanboy" wrote:
At present, every location where you can get the live stream you can also get the channel for free OTA with an antenna. If you are somewhere rural where you can't pick up the signal then you are also in a location where the live stream isn't available yet.

"stutch13" wrote:
Also with CBS all access being the first OTA network channel to launch this service are they trying to get their niche now??

They were not the first, they were the last. NBC, ABC, and FOX were among the first. They founded and own Hulu. Hulu is their version of this service. PBS has also been making its stuff available online for years. Even the CW, which is half owned by CBS, started putting their shows on Hulu three or four years ago. CBS has a phobia towards streaming, and their late entry into the game is part of the reason their service is not all it could be. Cable subscriptions started declining in 2013 while cord cutting has continued to grow, and so all the TV executives are now realizing they need to get in on this streaming business or their company will not have a future.

Agreed. What the Big 6 broadcasters need to do is offer linear and VOD services, with geolocation to give local affiliates the ability to run their local ads. I wouldn't expect them to drop ads or to cut their affiliates out of the loop. That's a huge source of revenue and despite all the bluster by CBS and FOX about ending broadcast if Aereo had won, they aren't about to do that. Having OTA access to folks who don't subscribe to pay TV is why those networks have the most watched shows on TV despite the mediocre quality of many of those programs. They simply have a bigger base of potential viewers than cable-only networks have.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

They are adding more markets
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015 ... /25520209/
They don't have mine yet, but perhaps soon will.
Just started my trial and may post some thoughts later. I see my wife using this more than I, but will check it out.
Edit: Been using it a bit. The app runs a little heavy on my LT (slow to load), but pretty sold on the Roku 3. Video and audio quality are nothing to write home about, Netflix and Amazon have better quality streaming. So far the reliability is there, but I hope CBS improves streaming quality.
I tried the browser version and it worked flawlessly, but when I went to the Roku to pick up where I left off on the show, on resume the audio and video were out of sync on the Roku. The interface is not bad on the Roku. For me, the only way I would keep this would be if they had Live streaming from my local affiliate , which they don't have for me yet.
I think this service will be useful for those who have an unreliable OTA signal for CBS, and for those who want a Hulu-like service for on-demand CBS content. If they can improve their video and audio streaming quality and supply a reliable live stream, I think there will be an audience for the service.
Something else I wanted to add is that it bases your Live channel option on your location, so if you are traveling and use the app, if you are in an area that has the CBS Live affiliate network you can view it through the app. My big question though is how many streams are allowed at one time. I've found no info on this, would appreciate knowing if someone finds out.
0 Kudos

"kbd48" wrote:
Something else I wanted to add is that it bases your Live channel option on your location, so if you are traveling and use the app, if you are in an area that has the CBS Live affiliate network you can view it through the app. My big question though is how many streams are allowed at one time. I've found no info on this, would appreciate knowing if someone finds out.

I just tried streaming live CBS TV on both my iPad and Roku with the same account. Bingo! It supports multiple streams, which makes it more family-friendly than Sling TV, IMO.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

Very good to know.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
wpbear
Level 7

CBS all access app does not work with older Roku. Niether of these three will load the updated CBS channel: XD 2050X and N1100 and N1000 . My LT 2400X and HD 2 3000X does work.

Also I sometimes have ISP slow down in the evening (even though I have a 100mbps package). CBS was buffering on last Thursday a lot while Hulu/Neflix were both fine. I am sure my ISP was the main problem but Hulu and Netflix have improved their apps to still work under these conditions while CBS just crapped out. Hopefully over time CBS will improve their system.
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

No buffering so far, but picture quality was even worse this afternoon when my wife was watching the channel. Still, nothing like the "Beta" feel of Sling TV start and stops when I test drove it.
0 Kudos
Darnell
Level 7

I just signed up for the free month, since you can't get the free month after this Friday.

And CBS All Access is pretty sad. They are charging a fee, when they don't even offer all their shows. Programs like 2 Broke Girls and Mom are not currently available at all. As in, not a single full episode, just some "clips", like you can find on YouTube. There are full episodes for some shows, but not every season of those shows in some cases. Some shows have all seasons and some don't. Then, it has ADVERTISEMENTS!!! There are ads at the start, and ads at points during the program, like Hulu or Crackle :x . And this is only for CBS content. And they do have the live feed for your local CBS affiliate, if they are on board. Mine is and it seems there is just a delay of a couple minutes from what I can watch OTA.

Zero children's programming.

I'm going to cancel for sure once this month is up.
0 Kudos

I cancelled CBS All Access after the first month... The streaming quality of the commercials was usually better than that of the shows and everything they offer can be viewed on other apps. They literally can offer nothing new and many of the shows people actually want to watch only have 6-7 episodes instead of whole seasons.
0 Kudos
Darnell
Level 7

I know why they don't have any episodes of 2 Broke Girls, it's because TBS picked the show up and airs it during the daytime. So there's no value to CBS All Access in that regard. They used to have about 7 episodes in All Access, now zero. I assume similar has happened with the show Mom, maybe some network picked it up.

They even have an end of show commercial :roll: .

The only shows All Access has in abundance are the less popular shows.

It's certainly not "All" Access.

If I had paid for it, I would request a refund.
0 Kudos