Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tkfan75
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

"knuckle" wrote:
The channel was added to my account automatically -- any one else seeing this?

I think they just updated the old CBS channel that just had clips on it. I'm pretty sure I still had it installed and that's how the CBS All Access channel installed on my Roku.
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

Would like to try this out before handing them over credit card info. Not sure how easy it will be to cancel if I don't like it.
Very pleased to see the CBS Roku app, and with their local affiliate channels being reached out to I'm encouraged that CBS may be getting serious about streaming.
My concern right now is reports of limited content being available from the CBS library. Also my local affiliate is not available yet. If they add my local CBS station live, and if they open up their recent content to full seasons, I would probably jump on this.
Will be interested to see more reviews of the service, especially what the folks here think of the CBS Roku app and content.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"kbd48" wrote:
Would like to try this out before handing them over credit card info. Not sure how easy it will be to cancel if I don't like it.
Very pleased to see the CBS Roku app, and with their local affiliate channels being reached out to I'm encouraged that CBS may be getting serious about streaming.
My concern right now is reports of limited content being available from the CBS library. Also my local affiliate is not available yet. If they add my local CBS station live, and if they open up their recent content to full seasons, I would probably jump on this.
Will be interested to see more reviews of the service, especially what the folks here think of the CBS Roku app and content.

The channel has a Browse option that lets you browse most (all?) of the content without subscribing. Also, if you already have billing info set up with Roku, you could sign up from the Roku channel and cancel before the 1-week trial is over, without having to provide additional CC info directly to CBS.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Desert_Dingo
Level 7

"TheEndless" wrote:
"kbd48" wrote:

The channel has a Browse option that lets you browse most (all?) of the content without subscribing. Also, if you already have billing info set up with Roku, you could sign up from the Roku channel and cancel before the 1-week trial is over, without having to provide additional CC info directly to CBS.

Thanks to: TheEndless...always here to help with info and filling in the blank spots. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
stutch13
Level 7

I was reading a story this guy submitted on Facebook about how cable channels are starting to fail in the old (current) model.. That some channels are being dropped from certain bundles and I wonder if it is the sling tv service that is causing this.. Also with CBS all access being the first OTA network channel to launch this service are they trying to get their niche now?? Grab what they can.. Truth is we still have cable tv but I don't watch enough of any network (ABC, CBS, NBC (If you count them as a network, I almost never watch that channel) and FOX which has ... something to watch, not sure what)) and so at the $5.99 price it is by itself out of my price range.. With HBO NOW being on the roku could more channels like that break away from the cable tv model and see who would pay for them at a standalone type of setting.. I wrote on the Sling entry about it might get out of hand but now I think it won't.. This is the better of the way to get what you want.. It might take a while to get everything going but I do think that the better channels, the ones with the higher ratings, might find a better home streaming their content..
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

"TheEndless" wrote:

Useful information, thanks!
So if you subscribe with the Roku app, to unsubscribe you just remove the app?
0 Kudos

"tkfan75" wrote:
"knuckle" wrote:
The channel was added to my account automatically -- any one else seeing this?

I think they just updated the old CBS channel that just had clips on it. I'm pretty sure I still had it installed and that's how the CBS All Access channel installed on my Roku.

Yes, that is correct.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"kbd48" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

Useful information, thanks!
So if you subscribe with the Roku app, to unsubscribe you just remove the app?

No, you need to log into your Roku account on the Roku website, then go to the "Manage Your Subscriptions" page (https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

Thanks again.
0 Kudos

At present, every location where you can get the live stream you can also get the channel for free OTA with an antenna. If you are somewhere rural where you can't pick up the signal then you are also in a location where the live stream isn't available yet.

"stutch13" wrote:
Also with CBS all access being the first OTA network channel to launch this service are they trying to get their niche now??

They were not the first, they were the last. NBC, ABC, and FOX were among the first. They founded and own Hulu. Hulu is their version of this service. PBS has also been making its stuff available online for years. Even the CW, which is half owned by CBS, started putting their shows on Hulu three or four years ago. CBS has a phobia towards streaming, and their late entry into the game is part of the reason their service is not all it could be. Cable subscriptions started declining in 2013 while cord cutting has continued to grow, and so all the TV executives are now realizing they need to get in on this streaming business or their company will not have a future.
0 Kudos