Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwhewitt
Level 9

Re: CBS All Access

I live North of Santa Barbara Ca. OTA signals in this area are unreliable. ABC is strong, but they waste their secondary channel broadcasting RETRO TV. CBS is fragile and the wind can break up the signal (no kidding). FOX is carried on the same CBS signal, but at a very pixilated/downgraded 480p. NBC is non-existent as their weak signal is way to the North of us in San Luis Obispo Ca. I rely on internet rebroadcasts of network shows. Unfortunately, only internet service available to us is COMCAST! To make matters worse, they just increased our monthly bill for internet only to $77. Just internet and nothing else. CBS and other major Broadcasters should just put their programs on the internet using a non-flash video player (read HTML 5) that does not drop frames and freeze every few seconds. It would also be nice if they stopped displaying those animated banner ads at the bottom of the screen during the OTA shows. Ads are ads and content is content. Do not overlay them! Rant over. I feel better now. BTW watching programs on the internet is becoming annoying too. Same GEICO ad every few minutes. I can almost lip sync it now.
0 Kudos
rybo85
Level 7

"rybo85" wrote:
My main complaint about CBS All Access is that its platform support is pathetic. For your service to not support anything other than iOS, Android, and web browsers in the year 2015 is embarrassing.

Looks like CBS All Access is finally in the process of expanding to more platforms. I don't plan to subscribe at this point, but kudos to them for the improvement.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/7/8364265/cbs-all-access-roku-launch
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

"rybo85" wrote:
"rybo85" wrote:
My main complaint about CBS All Access is that its platform support is pathetic. For your service to not support anything other than iOS, Android, and web browsers in the year 2015 is embarrassing.

Looks like CBS All Access is finally in the process of expanding to more platforms. I don't plan to subscribe at this point, but kudos to them for the improvement.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/7/8364265/cbs-all-access-roku-launch

Good for them. I'm still not paying $6/month for what I can get for free. But for the 5%-10% who can't receive CBS with an antenna and must have it, this will be an option. I can't see $6/mo for one network being viable in the long run.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
trothatl
Level 7

"gkl" wrote:

Good for them. I'm still not paying $6/month for what I can get for free. But for the 5%-10% who can't receive CBS with an antenna and must have it, this will be an option. I can't see $6/mo for one network being viable in the long run.

You're assuming that CBS All Access offers nothing more than the live stream broadcast, which is wrong. A lot of people may want this for past seasons of current shows and older shows. Myself, I have plenty to watch with Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime, but others may want this content.

Or, for those who want to watch all episodes of one show, think of it this way - you can buy, for example, Star Trek: The Complete Original Series on DVD for $200, or you can watch the complete series over a month for only $6. The real value here is not in the live stream, it's in the huge VOD library.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"trothatl" wrote:
"gkl" wrote:

You're assuming that CBS All Access offers nothing more than the live stream broadcast, which is wrong. A lot of people may want this for past seasons of current shows and older shows. Myself, I have plenty to watch with Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime, but others may want this content.

Or, for those who want to watch all episodes of one show, think of it this way - you can buy, for example, Star Trek: The Complete Original Series on DVD for $200, or you can watch the complete series over a month for only $6. The real value here is not in the live stream, it's in the huge VOD library.

Except that a lot of the VOD library is also available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime (including all the Star Trek series).
0 Kudos

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"trothatl" wrote:
"gkl" wrote:

Good for them. I'm still not paying $6/month for what I can get for free.

Except that a lot of the VOD library is also available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime (including all the Star Trek series).

Yeah, but neither Netflix nor Amazon Prime are *free*, which is what trothatl was responding to.

BTW, I must say that the CBS All-Access channel on Roku streams quite nicely for both live TV and VOD. I'll likely end up using the Roku mostly to watch archived shows and use my iPhone and iPad to watch KCBS (the CBS affiliate in Los Angeles) outside the home.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"trothatl" wrote:
"gkl" wrote:

Not to mention free sources, including CBS's own web site.

If folks want this, I'm fine with it. That's what makes streaming a great alternative: choice. But I don't see $6/month for one network as viable in the long term.

For $8/month, you can get a host of very recent network programming except for CBS on Hulu Plus and as to old shows, there is a host of content except for CBS's library for FREE on Hulu's free site. I just don't see CBS All Access as a viable product given all the free ways to get it access to much of its library and given the significantly cheaper alternatives for live (OTA) or near live (free Hulu and network web sites). We will see.

My guess is that CBS recognizes that it appeals to an older demographic and is hoping that much of its audience won't take the time to explore all the alternatives which are a lot less expensive and require a little more effort to get to a TV screen. I'm guessing that may work for a year or two, but won't be viable long term.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

"trothatl" wrote:
"gkl" wrote:

I'm assuming no such thing. I'm well aware that much of CBS's library is available for free on other sites and that for just a couple of bucks more per month, one can get much of it plus a LOT more from sites like Netflix. Original Star Trek episodes, for example, are available on Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, and YouTube. Why pay $6/month for a much smaller library when for $8 or $9 /month one can get that library plus a whole LOT more?
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

The channel was added to my account automatically -- any one else seeing this?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
trothatl
Level 7

"knuckle" wrote:
The channel was added to my account automatically -- any one else seeing this?

Same here. I would have thought it was done as an incentive to get people to sign up, but it showed up in the middle of my listings. And it's not listed in the "new" category of the channel store. It's almost as if Roku was trying to hide the channel. If they were trying to force it on us, it should have shown up as the first channel on my home screen not in the middle of the pack. I only knew that it had already been added because I searched for it and it showed up as already installed.
0 Kudos