Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gkl
Level 8

Re: CBS All Access

"kbd48" wrote:
"dssonic" wrote:
CBS is the most stodgy and old-fashioned of the OTA networks; it doesn't surprise me that they aren't willing to embrace online viewings.

I think different people must run different areas of CBS having opposite philosophies. CBSN is awesome and I would say a huge success. But who wants to watch CBS network on a browser or mobile app? Their audience is probably mostly 40 and up. Again, it is just insane that they ignore this source of revenue, and if, as the news article suggests, they have local affiliates on board, what are they thinking? Paying to watch TV on a phone app or browser? Not likely, at least not for me.

I do sometimes watch live sports on CBS on my tablet or iPhone (not often, but when that's my only option). But I don't pay a subscription to do so. I've got an antenna in my attic, which has several runs from it, including one to a first generation Simple.TV, which I bought for $95, including the Lifetime Premier subscription. It streams live and recorded content to any device I have connected to the home network or the internet. As to older shows on CBS's web site, those can be watched on a TV using a variety of methods. I sure am not going to pay CBS $60/year for content which I can legally watch without any ongoing cost. This is for those who lack basic technology skills to set up less expensive options.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
stutch13
Level 7

"rybo85" wrote:
My main complaint about CBS All Access is that its platform support is pathetic. For your service to not support anything other than iOS, Android, and web browsers in the year 2015 is embarrassing.

I've said this before about being able to watch a tv show on their web site on the computer.. Why not have it available via the Roku?? I mean the difference is you are able to watch it with what is a very stripped down computer type device.. Put all the commercials on like they have on the computer access version.. What is the difference?? Oh that's right if you access it by computer then you get to watch the commercials that way.. Via the roku they magically disappear.... No wait a minute.. they seem to be there in greater volume..
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"stutch13" wrote:
"rybo85" wrote:
My main complaint about CBS All Access is that its platform support is pathetic. For your service to not support anything other than iOS, Android, and web browsers in the year 2015 is embarrassing.

I've said this before about being able to watch a tv show on their web site on the computer.. Why not have it available via the Roku?? I mean the difference is you are able to watch it with what is a very stripped down computer type device.. Put all the commercials on like they have on the computer access version.. What is the difference?? Oh that's right if you access it by computer then you get to watch the commercials that way.. Via the roku they magically disappear.... No wait a minute.. they seem to be there in greater volume..

A lot of streaming deals between networks/producers/production companies/rights owners still only allow computer access to programming, and no TV access. Any device that only attaches to a television (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc) isn't allowed to stream some programming that computers (even if you attach them to a TV) can stream. It's dumb and outdated, but it's the same reason we have "regular" Hulu and Hulu+ - different rights for different programming.
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 8

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"stutch13" wrote:
"rybo85" wrote:

A lot of streaming deals between networks/producers/production companies/rights owners still only allow computer access to programming, and no TV access. Any device that only attaches to a television (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc) isn't allowed to stream some programming that computers (even if you attach them to a TV) can stream. It's dumb and outdated, but it's the same reason we have "regular" Hulu and Hulu+ - different rights for different programming.

There are readily simple means to use a Roku to watch this content on a TV. We are just not allowed to discuss them on this forum.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"gkl" wrote:
There are readily simple means to use a Roku to watch this content on a TV. We are just not allowed to discuss them on this forum.

Sure, but that wasn't what the person I was replying to was ranting about. There are always ways to get around restrictions, but I was explaining why some of the restrictions are there in the first place.
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 8

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"gkl" wrote:

Sure, but that wasn't what the person I was replying to was ranting about. There are always ways to get around restrictions, but I was explaining why some of the restrictions are there in the first place.

I understand your point. My point is that for less energy than his rant, he could fix for himself what he is ranting about.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

The CBS plug-in for PLEX works fine for VOD. You can also use Roku DVR solutions (EyeTV, Simple, Tablo, etc) to record and get your CBS content from OTA/QAM sources. I would pay $5 per month for CBS access if they add the local US CBS feed along with the international CBS stations (CBS Reality, Drama, Action) and their content. But for US only live feed and VOD catchup you can get this content for free already so no need to subscribe for the same content unless they include "other goodies" in their service worth considering.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos

"vnazario" wrote:
I would pay $5 per month for CBS access if they add the local US CBS feed along with the international CBS stations (CBS Reality, Drama, Action) and their content. But for US only live feed and VOD catchup you can get this content for free already so no need to subscribe for the same content unless they include "other goodies" in their service worth considering.

First of all, CBS all-access is actually $5.99 monthly. I know, I was the one who posted $5/month earlier in the thread. Just wanted to correct this for the record so that this misinformation doesn't keep getting repeated.

One neat thing that is "possible" with an all-access subscription is that if you are able to alter your home location, you would be able to stream live TV feeds from all the participating affiliates. This means being able to watch the local CBS channel from 14 cities. The link below shows which cities.

https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/arti ... ate_cbsvod

And if the latest reports are correct, this list is supposed to grow shortly.

Just to make it clear though, this is only possible for people who have the know-how to fool CBS' location check.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin
0 Kudos

IMO, $6/month is too much for what they offer, even if it was available on a Roku. CBS should put all their shows on Hulu the day after they air just like Fox, ABC, NBC, and the CW do. CBS has been the slowest to open up to OTT compared to the other networks, and it will hurt them in the long run.
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 8

"Foolish Hulu Fanboy" wrote:
IMO, $6/month is too much for what they offer, even if it was available on a Roku. CBS should put all their shows on Hulu the day after they air just like Fox, ABC, NBC, and the CW do. CBS has been the slowest to open up to OTT compared to the other networks, and it will hurt them in the long run.

I agree completely. Of course, they place their shows on their own web site after they air and for significantly less than a year's subscription to CBS All Access, I've set up a means to watch those via my Rokus. Well over 90% of Americans can receive CBS's programs when broadcast with an antenna, which for the vast majority would also cost a lot less than a year's subscription to CBS All Access. CBS must stand for "Can't Be Serious".
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos