Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbd48
Level 7

CBS All Access

Looks like they are trying to get more affiliates on board
http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2015/03 ... p-service/

Any hope that we could one day get a CBS All Access Roku app?
0 Kudos
54 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

"kbd48" wrote:
Looks like they are trying to get more affiliates on board
http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2015/03 ... p-service/

Any hope that we could one day get a CBS All Access Roku app?


You'd have to ask cbs.
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"kbd48" wrote:
Looks like they are trying to get more affiliates on board
http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2015/03 ... p-service/

Any hope that we could one day get a CBS All Access Roku app?


You'd have to ask cbs.


Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.
It seems crazy that if they are serious about the service they don't have a Roku or Fire TV app.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

"kbd48" wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.
It seems crazy that if they are serious about the service they don't have a Roku or Fire TV app.


Crazy? Maybe. But you are talking about corporate America and that barge can move slowly and one tug can actually fight against another making movement hard to impossible in many cases.

The decision to have the service could have come from one department and the impetus to make the channels/apps might have to come from a totally different department. Those departments might not talk to each other and might not even like each other. It can be sort of like groups of girls in high school.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

Apt description.
0 Kudos
dssonic
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

CBS is the most stodgy and old-fashioned of the OTA networks; it doesn't surprise me that they aren't willing to embrace online viewings.
0 Kudos
kbd48
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

"dssonic" wrote:
CBS is the most stodgy and old-fashioned of the OTA networks; it doesn't surprise me that they aren't willing to embrace online viewings.


I think different people must run different areas of CBS having opposite philosophies. CBSN is awesome and I would say a huge success. But who wants to watch CBS network on a browser or mobile app? Their audience is probably mostly 40 and up. Again, it is just insane that they ignore this source of revenue, and if, as the news article suggests, they have local affiliates on board, what are they thinking? Paying to watch TV on a phone app or browser? Not likely, at least not for me.
0 Kudos

Re: CBS All Access

"kbd48" wrote:
"dssonic" wrote:
CBS is the most stodgy and old-fashioned of the OTA networks; it doesn't surprise me that they aren't willing to embrace online viewings.


I think different people must run different areas of CBS having opposite philosophies. CBSN is awesome and I would say a huge success. But who wants to watch CBS network on a browser or mobile app? Their audience is probably mostly 40 and up. Again, it is just insane that they ignore this source of revenue, and if, as the news article suggests, they have local affiliates on board, what are they thinking? Paying to watch TV on a phone app or browser? Not likely, at least not for me.


Are the other OTA commercial networks any different? NBC, ABC, and FOX all require TV provider log-ins in order to fully access their respective mobile apps. Last I heard, providers like DirecTV, Xfinity, Optimum, Verizon FIOS, etc. don't give out their services for free. Hence, none of those aformentioned networks offer full online access to their programming for free.

At least CBS doesn't require a cable TV subscription in order to obtain their all-access pass. Now whether that pass is worth the $5 monthly tab is something that each person will have to decide for themselves. But at least that choice isn't predicated by first having to seek out a particpating TV provider and subscribing to the right package. And you don't have to worry about suddenly losing that access because of any TV provider/network feud erupting over re-transmission fees.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin
0 Kudos
tobarefeet
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

"dssonic" wrote:
CBS is the most stodgy and old-fashioned of the OTA networks; it doesn't surprise me that they aren't willing to embrace online viewings.



CBS has offered full episodes for years at cbs.com. They have CBSN here on Roku and other places. They offer CBS All Access where they have affilitate agreements. Exactly how have they not been willing to embrace online viewing?
0 Kudos
rybo85
Level 7

Re: CBS All Access

My main complaint about CBS All Access is that its platform support is pathetic. For your service to not support anything other than iOS, Android, and web browsers in the year 2015 is embarrassing.
0 Kudos