Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: CBS All Access audio

@andyross wrote:
I figured out that if you hit the * key while playing, you can change the audio track to DD+.

I'm resurrecting this older thread because CBS All-Access has a current one-month-free-trial going on during this coronavirus period (3/26/20 as I write this), and the first season of Picard is wrapping up this week. In other words, you can watch/binge through the entire season of Picard and whatever else for 30 days right now and cancel if you like.

OK, here's the deal with CBS All-Access, at least on the Roku set top boxes: The audio defaults to STEREO in the app. I watched an episode and a half of Picard and it was really hard to understand the dialogue with the stereo mix. I had even changed my AVR to Dolby ProLogic (Movie) to try and get some kind of separation, but it didn't help much. Very disappointing. 

Then I found this older Roku forum thread where @andyross figured out that he could get DD+ by tapping the asterisk key on the Roku remote (this might not work for the Roku TVs...just the set top boxes). In the audio track section, it probably defaults to English*, but you can use the right arrow key on the remote to cycle through the other options. "DD+" is an option that will provide Dolby Digital Plus audio output.

(Note: for those with older AVRs that can't decode Dolby Digital Plus, CBS All-Access also has an option to output the audio on the Roku boxes in standard/older Dolby Digital - nice touch. Again, just use the arrow key on the Audio Track section after tapping the asterisk key while playing an episode and select Dolby vs. DD+.)

It's an odd setup for a Roku app to have the audio options like this that don't default to the highest format one's system can handle, but at least it's there now. 

(Note 2: There's a Facebook post from CBS All-Access featuring Patrick Stewart saying to use the promo code "GIFT" for the free trial. When you go to CBS All-Access online, the checkout automatically defaults to - and enters/populates -  the promo code "all". Did for me, anyway.  This promo code works for both the limited ads AND the no ads version of CBS All-Access, so if you plan on canceling before the trial ends, by all means choose the NO ADS free trial!) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: CBS All Access audio

I'm resurrecting this older thread because CBS All-Access has a current one-month-free-trial going on during this coronavirus period (3/26/20 as I write this), and the first season of Picard is wrapping up this week. In other words, you can watch/binge through the entire season of Picard and whatever else for 30 days right now and cancel if you like.

OK, here's the deal with CBS All-Access, at least on the Roku set top boxes: The audio defaults to STEREO in the app. I watched an episode and a half of Picard and it was really hard to understand the dialogue with the stereo mix. I had even changed my AVR to Dolby ProLogic (Movie) to try and get some kind of separation, but it didn't help much. Very disappointing. 

Then I found this older Roku forum thread where @andyross figured out that he could get DD+ by tapping the asterisk key on the Roku remote (this might not work for the Roku TVs...just the set top boxes). In the audio track section, it probably defaults to English*, but you can use the right arrow key on the remote to cycle through the other options. "DD+" is an option that will provide Dolby Digital Plus audio output.

(Note: for those with older AVRs that can't decode Dolby Digital Plus, CBS All-Access also has an option to output the audio on the Roku boxes in standard/older Dolby Digital - nice touch. Again, just use the arrow key on the Audio Track section after tapping the asterisk key while playing an episode and select Dolby vs. DD+.)

It's an odd setup for a Roku app to have the audio options like this that don't default to the highest format one's system can handle, but at least it's there now. 

(Note 2: There's a Facebook post from CBS All-Access featuring Patrick Stewart saying to use the promo code "GIFT" for the free trial. When you go to CBS All-Access online, the checkout automatically defaults to - and enters/populates -  the promo code "all". Did for me, anyway.  This promo code works for both the limited ads AND the no ads version of CBS All-Access, so if you plan on canceling before the trial ends, by all means choose the NO ADS free trial!) 

0 Kudos