Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Level 16

Re: CBS All Access audio

Instead of scrolling right several times, you can scroll left once and it will usually be the DD+ entry.

RayMore
Level 7

Based off of instructions from these posts found out I could get DD+ on Discovery season 3 using my Roku Player. Just looked into it on a separate Roku Insignia TV and hitting the asterisk and then scrolling down to "Track" allows you to also scroll across to DD+. Be careful though. Don't change your underlying sound menu, just go to the "Track" and change it to DD or DolbyDigital Plus for better sound. As others have said, its ridiculous that CBSAllAccess doesn't have a better streaming app and codecs that automatically chooses the best sound. We shouldn't have to go through all this for each and every episode, especially for its premier Sci-fi related shows 

0 Kudos
eboe
Level 8

@Boyziggy wrote:

Thank you! To change to DD+, you have to press the * while watching the show, than select "ENGLISH" under audio, and scroll to the right until you see DD+. It's horribly hidden. I'm an audio engineer, and i struggled to find this option. WTF were they thinking? Why wouldn't audio automatically source to what the playback device is already set to? Why would they restrict audio to stereo playback and bury surround sound under closed caption and language menus? Obvious they just don't care about the quality of what  they're trying to sell. 

Well, they announced today that they are going ahead with the rebrand to Paramount+ on March 4th. Let's hope that they build a new app from the ground up that has such issues fixed. 

Firefishe
Level 7

So “CBS All Access” is going to become “Paramount+” ? If I’m able to play Star Trek The Original Series and not have the overall volume halved, and be able to hear the actual “To Boldly Go...” opening narration without it being muffled, or using Netflix—which has the all the remastered episodes I like and has no sound issues—I will be happy.

I subscribed essentially for Picard and Discovery. Picard is done. Discovery has another season, if memory serves. Not being able to hear Star Trek TOS at loud levels is bothersome. Netflix works through the Roku. All Access should do the same.

Frankly, I’m at a loss  

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

The change to Paramount+ is just branding and should have no effect on anything technical.

I have noticed CBSAA's audio is a bit lower than others, but that's not always a bad thing. It probably means it has not been compressed as much as far as volume. It's common for the volume to be punched up, but then you lose the dynamic range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

0 Kudos
Winterjay
Level 7

unfortunately this isn’t really a “fix” because you will have to change the audio track every single time you start an episode!

0 Kudos