Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
windfall
Level 7

CBS All Access Live TV/HULU with Live TV CBS doesn't play

I have contacted CBS 3-4 times with this issue... Looking for suggestions
Modem has been rebooted
Router has been rebooted
ROKU has been restarted
All equipment has been checked for latest updates
Speedtest 16 mbs
The ROKU is hardwired directly with the modem via ethernet cable.
Using the CBS App we get the splash screen - when we navigate to "Live TV": Black Screen with message "Error Unfortunately, an error occurred during playback. Please try again." --- Please note, that we can navigate to 'archived' programming (such as Big Bang Theory etc) and they will play back without a problem
This is day 5 of this behavior...

I also have "HULU with live TV" - When we go to CBS on this platform, the CBS program starts to play for ~ 10 seconds... then it will jump and stutter... then the screen will go blank and now is sitting on a "buffering" screen... Please note, that we can search on the "HULU with Live TV" app for CBS shows (again such as old episodes of Big Bang Theory etc") and they will play back without problem.
This is again day 5 of this behavior

Using "HULU with live TV"- We are able to view the local live streams from ABC, NBC, ESPN, HGTV etc without problems.

We are currently able to use our other ROKU's apps without problem. Netflix plays programming without problems, Amazon Prime plays without problem, PBS app plays, MLB loads and plays etc.

We also have a TCL TV with "Built In" ROKU. This device receives it's signal through our wireless network. This device displays the same behavior as the other TV concerning the unusable live CBS feed, but playing archived programming or other network live streams without problem.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: CBS All Access Live TV/HULU with Live TV CBS doesn't play

CBS doesn't offer live streams in all areas. For instance, in Savannah, I can watch the local CBS affiliate on CBS All Access. However, when I was in the Columbus area, I could not watch the local affiliate there. I don't recall what the message was, but the cause of the situation was that the local affiliate where I was didn't allow it to stream.

So, are you certain the local CBS affiliate is part of the live streaming?

By the way, are you using a VPN?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
windfall
Level 7

I have been using CBS All Access for several months (since the Star Trek Discovery Series debuted) ... We have been using the HULU with Live TV since it became available in our area (Northern Wisconsin)... All has worked well until about 5 days ago... It's very strange that it is only the live streaming portion doesn't work... The archived programming streams just fine...

We live in an area that makes receiving OTA signals very difficult and it was nice to have morning and evening news live programming available...
0 Kudos

It is entirely possible that your local CBS station withdrew live-streaming rights. That's what it seems like, if the problem is cross-platform.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You can ensure it's still available in your market here: https://www.cbs.com/all-access/live-tv/

Scroll down to Stream Live TV 24/7

Click Check Availability

Allow your browser to access and report your location. Don't be using a VPN (you never answered that question posed earlier).

If your local market is still showing, then we'll rule out any intentional stoppage from the local affiliate. Could be an issue with that affiliate, though. Unless, of course, others in your area are able to stream live.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
windfall
Level 7

I do not have a VPN... 
Our local station is Duluth/Superior which we have been watching for months until a week ago...
Even on my Chromebook, we get a very slow load then about 10 sexonds of program and then it freezes...
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I understand that it was working. What isn't clear is if you went to the page described and clicked Check Availability. We need to rule out the local station pulling out of the live streaming. That link should check CBS database for your local (as your ISP reports it) CBS station.

It could be that your ISP is reporting you somewhere else. And, that somewhere else could be where CBS live isn't available. That would cause what you're getting. Rule it out by checking the link as described.

We're trying to help, but we're having to ask questions more than once. We need you to help too.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos