Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cedeez007
Level 7

CABLE OR INTERNET

FOR SOME CHANNELS, IT SAYS THAT YOU HAVE SATELITE OR CABLE ( SERVICE ).. MY QUESTION IS, CAN YOU JUST HAVE INTERNET INSTEAD OF CABLE (AND/OR) SATELITE?

I AM THINKING ABOUT DITCHING MY CABLE FOR ROKU AND I KNOW THAT SOME TV SHOWS SAY THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE EITHER SATELITE OR CABLE??  JUST WONDERING IF THIS WAS JUST ANOTHER OPTION? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: CABLE OR INTERNET

Take caps lock off. All caps is commonly understood to indicate shouting. That's been online etiquette for quite some time. So, try that.

Now, the thing about the various apps available is that some are designed to work in conjunction with a cable or satellite service. Some are not. It appears as if the apps you've tried are those type.

The other thing you should realize is that there are ways of watching just about anything without cable. I dropped cable in early 2011 and can watch a lot of stuff. I know it's possible, but the only thing is that it depends on what it is you're wanting to watch.

So, what channels are you trying to watch? You may be able to watch on-demand (kind of like DVR content) or even live (but that costs more). So, what is it you're after?

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: CABLE OR INTERNET

The direct answer to your question is that to use a Roku an internet connection is required.  If you have an internet-only connection with no tv content there are cable-type channels you won't be able to receive on Roku without making some other arrangements.

Cable-type channels want to be paid. When you have a paid subscription to a provider service that carries these channels, they receive their pay out of the subscription fees you pay that provider. When you don't have a subscription to such a provider you are not paying for those channels.

Many cable-type channels only make their programming available for streaming on devices like Rokus to those paying for them through a provider as mentioned above. That service doesn't have to be a bloated cable or satellite service however. There are several you can subscribe to and run on a Roku that may carry the channels you are interested in. Ones that come to mind to check out for any particular channel would include YouTube TV (currently in contract dispute with Roku), Hulu plus Live TV, Sling, and AT&T NOW -- there may be others.

There are several places on the net where you can look up which providers carry a particular channel of interest. Here are a couple such pages:
https://thestreamable.com/channels
https://www.groundedreason.com/cord-cutting/tv-streaming/how-to-stream-by-channel/

Savings in cord cutting usually come from picking and choosing which of the offerings you wish to pay for instead of paying for full blown cable or satellite services with scores of channels you never watch.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi