Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bill-super-user
Reel Rookie

Buffering Issue with HULU on ROKU Ultra

I consider myself a super Roku user having used practically every model including several ROKU TVs.  Have always loved and supported these products.

However, we are getting extremely frustrated with live streaming of HULU with a ROKU Ultra.  The buffering makes it nearly impossible to watch anything on HULU.

This seems to have gotten worse more recently (over past month).

Here are some points:

- ROKU Ultra is connected to 4K TV

- Direct Connect from ROKU to Infinity Router via CAT6 Ethernet (not using WIFI)

- Speed test on Xfinity is 300Mbps

- Do not have any similar issues on same ROKU Ultra with Amazon Prime, Netflix, PLEX or any other channel.

- HULU works great on two other ROKU TVs, iPads, and other devices.

- Even lowered display resolution to 1080P (crying shame). 

- Checked all apps and software on Ultra and they are all up to date.

Anyone having similar issues? Any suggestions on how to fix?  Given the above it seems to be either the HULU application, the ULTRA, or both.

There are some posts online about hitting a key sequence on the remote that lowers the download speed of the Ultra but this does not make sense. 

31 REPLIES 31
bill-super-user
Reel Rookie

Re: Buffering Issue with HULU on ROKU Ultra

So, I tried one more experiment.  I decided to try WIFI instead of directly connecting via Ethernet.  I need to try this further but it appears to have significantly improved but there was still some cases of buffering.

Is it possible that ROKU or HULU uses different buffering settings for WIFI vs Ethernet?  I am suspecting since WIFI is less reliable that maybe there is a deeper level of buffering before displaying video and this may keep instantaneous starving of the video stream from occurring.

My next experiment will be to switch to a different Ethernet cable.  Fortunately, I had run three though the attic for my multiple streaming devices and smart TV.

Blade134

Hi, I am experiencing the exact same issue you described. All my other apps work fine except Hulu on my Roku Ultra. I even checked the network usage while the app was buffering and saw that little to no bandwidth was being used, so it looks like a bug. 

I had a Roku 3 previously which used the SD card as a form of cache and this helped with buffering issues, but it seems that although the Ultra has a SD card feature, it does not function the same anymore. I am going to try the Wifi option and see if that works. 

Thanks for the post. Thought I was the only one with this issue...

Nemie1981

I just started having the same issue. Hulu keeps buffering. Cannot watch movies. Amazon, Netflix, HBO all work fine. 

Ptals

We’re having the same issue. We started out wireless and then when nothing we did on that seemed to address the issue, we got a CAT6 Ethernet cable.  That still didn’t fix the buffering/connection issues.  Like everyone else, the issue only lies with Hulu all other apps (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Vudu, etc) on the Roku run just fine.

0 Kudos
Nycgal
Reel Rookie

I have constant problems with Hulu (several freezes, crashes, Roku reboots a day), particularly when Hulu's own commercial airs. No other streaming services have this problem.  I'm considering dropping my Hulu bc it's gotten ridiculous. I have Philo, and it never happens. 

Same issue for us. All other streaming services work just fine. We have a lot of issues between commercials too. At times the episode doesn’t resume after the commercials, jumps to next episode. Frustrating! 

EmT
Reel Rookie

I'm on wireless and ready to throw out my Roku. So frustrated! 

KBar16

Mine is doing the same thing. Plays commercials then has an error. If I actually get partially through an episode, it'll do that same thing but then start the whole episode over. I've ALWAYS had issues with Hulu playing stuff on anything I try to watch it on... the app on my phone, through an app on a non-Roku tv app, Roku Ultra, & Roku TV. I don't understand it. INSANELY frustrating! Hulu needs to get with it already and fix these issues. #rokuultra #huluissues

EmT
Reel Rookie

It has to be a ROKU issue. I can play Hulu on all other devices without any interruptions. Getting ready to junk my ROKU.