Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarryOK
Reel Rookie

Re: Buffering Issue with HULU on ROKU Ultra

I have two ROKU devices (Premiere & Express+) on two Vizio TVs that are direct connected to my high speed broadband (1 TB down) internet modem. The ROKU devices are are connected with WiFi to a Netgear Nighthawk AC2600 router. I have been accessing HULU live streaming thru ROKU and have been experiencing extensive buffering and lost connections - frustrating!!! I just brought up HULU on the Vizio TVs to see how it would work, and bingo ... Flawless streaming and no buffering 🙂

After browsing through the ROKU Community (first time here), it looks to me like ROKU is not responding to problems their users are having. I am not signed up for any ROKU programming and have decided that I will not be in the future because of their lack of support. How does ROKU stay in business?

TLAR
Reel Rookie

I have several Roku devices in my house all connected via WiFi. Typically we only run 2 TVs and my internet download is 250MG plus, so speed is not an issue. The last few months for no apparent reason Hulu starts buffering. This is very aggravating to say the least. Hulu on my iPad or iPhone works just fine. Let me add when I run Netflix or Prime on TV I have no interruptions. So it has to be a Roku/Hulu conflict issue .

Dan_S

I was also having this issue (Hulu on an Ultra) so I tried a bit of an experiment and so far it's better, no buffering and the loading and response of Hulu is quicker.  I simply deleted a bunch of the extraneous channels that I had on my Ultra, adopted a leaner stance so I only have those channels that we actively watch.  I'd speculate it's some type of memory issue but not being a Roku coder well.  Now I did have a lot of those channels that I tried once or for short periods and then never deleted and if you are more patient than me you could try to thin you selections one at a time and see if it's a particular channel or there is a maximum sweet spot number of channels but I didn't take that path I went straight to the this is all I need selection.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Nycgal
Reel Rookie

Thank you for that tip! Makes a lot of sense! 🙂

0 Kudos

I just bought Ruko Ultra... I’ve had it for few days now. I agree with you. I’m having the same problems as you on Hulu. I had the Roku premium before and I didn’t have no problems. I hope Roku comes up with a fix I would deeply appreciate it

Jill_S47

@Dan_S  This worked for me!

I had to do a system restart afterwards for it to work, but so far it is working as it should!

0 Kudos
Styopa
Channel Surfer

What's great is how attentive and responsive roku has been in this thread.

0 Kudos
HarryOK
Reel Rookie

I only have a few channels loaded that I watch regularly. I have always deleted a channel if I don't watch it. That said, I have not had any buffering issues in quite awhile.

0 Kudos
Styopa
Channel Surfer

FWIW we had this issue.  I noticed that the roku was extremely slow when I was clearing barely-used channels.

Rebooting the roku made that much quicker, and then hulu didn't stutter.

My guess is that it's an issue with either a) hulu or b) roku or c) both being sloppy/inattentive to clearing old data piles that are outdated or no longer needed; rebooting flushes that, while clearing nonused channels probably just reduces the amount of **bleep** roku is trying to preload with each of them (UI, ads, etc) behind the scenes.

Roku team: thanks for all your help solving this!

0 Kudos
mav52
Reel Rookie

I have the very same problem. I have two Roku Ultras, one hardware via Ethernet to my router ( which is 3 feet away and the TV is 4 feet away )which is 1 GB, I'm getting 875Mbps at the router and the other is Wifi to a Roku Ultra in another room.  I've had these Ultras since I just cut the cord with my cable company one week ago Monday. The buffering is the total pits.  Never got this with cable.  All my Roku's are up to date.

Time for Roku to address this.

0 Kudos