Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Britbox

Is anyone else excited that BBC is releasing Britbox Streaming app soon to be available on Roku or does the patrol want to pounce on me for some error I may have made in this post? Britbox sounds cool to me.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
0 Kudos
34 Replies
socantra
Level 7

Re: Britbox

It's always nice to get another paid subscription service.  When it actually shows up, I will compare its offerings with Acorn and other alternatives and decide whether it is worth the price of the subscription.

"Excited", No, but more content is usually a good thing.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

While Britbox does sound interesting and it might be a source for a lot of older British TV and drama I do not really see it being worth the $6.99/month that it costs.

I looked around a bit but could not find a definitive list as what content will actually be included in the package. I might actually subscribe for a month or two if they have "Till Death Us Do Part" in its entirety. The little bit I've seen of it seems like it as least as good as "All in the Family." which was an Americanized version of the original.

There are also several other older British TV shows like "Space 1999" and "Gideon's Way" and "The Rat Catchers" that come to mind as series that would be interesting to see.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos

"socantra" wrote:
It's always nice to get another paid subscription service.  When it actually shows up, I will compare its offerings with Acorn and other alternatives and decide whether it is worth the price of the subscription.

"Excited", No, but more content is usually a good thing.

Its difficult to know if you are being serious or sarcastic about paid subscription channels but in case you are being serious I agree. Almost all free channels suck. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, CBS All Access, and I donate monthly to my local PBS station for their Passport Account. I also have an Xfinity Limited Basic subscription to waych some stuff live and it has Showtime included. I considered Acorn TV but it all seemed outdated to me. I am hoping Britbox wont. But in any case if there were not decent paid subscription services there wouldnt be streaming boxes.

Feel free to criticize everything I said. Thats what forums are for, right?
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
0 Kudos
rmwomble
Level 7

I have looked at it and am impressed.  They have much more BBC content and even some current BBC programs that will stream about 24 hours after broadcast in the UK apparently.  I am a great fan of BBC programming and this is as close as we will get to actually having BBC.  Crime dramas and sitcoms from UK programs are so much more sophisticated and of a higher quality than U.S. programs.  Now if we can just get it on Roku quickly.  I am currently an ACORN subscriber and this looks much better or supplements it.

Has anybody heard a timeline for when it will stream on ROKU?
0 Kudos
dalefly123
Level 7

I already get all live British tv channels streamed on Roku through their channel 'UKTV' costing $1.99 a month.The only problem is that because it's live from the UK it's therefore on their time so there's the time difference to contend with.
0 Kudos
woosterek
Level 7

I will definitely think about switching from Acorn to Britbox when it becomes available on Roku.  I signed up for the free trial on Google Play, and the content is pretty extensive.  There is a lot of classic British TV and quite a bit of new content as well.  Acorn has become a bit stale, with very little new content each month.  From the get-go I found 30 programs to add to my Britbox watchlist. The staples like Poirot, Marple, etc. are all there, as well as all seasons of A Touch of Frost, which is hard to find elsewhere.
0 Kudos
Desert_Dingo
Level 7

Britbox sounds good, a bit high on sub, but content will decide.  Comment made that Acorn is a bit stale...is too kind, I have been a subber since beginning.  Have gotten a lot of enjoyment from content at a fair monthly price...however 'very stale' is more correct.  This past year has just been a lot of re-run series, not much new or of interest for me.  Britbox will be a welcome addition to check out. 
Hope it happens soon on Roku.   
0 Kudos
ssuand
Level 7

I see Britbox is now in Roku store. I will add it today. I have been watching Britbox and it does have some excellent older programs. I dont see anything that was on in past 24 hours though. I do have a VPN and watch BBCIPLAYER and ITVHub with that but it has to be on tablet or laptop. Thats why i am using Britbox to watch on my tv. But if they dont follow thru showing current i will most likely cancel. .
0 Kudos
ssuand
Level 7

The app britbox is in store today
0 Kudos