Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
labster
Level 7

Britbox requires a password even when subscribed through Roku

Jump to solution

For the last month or so, Britbox has prompted me to enter a password to view any videos.  However, it will not accept my Roku password, nor has a password reset email from Britbox worked.  Britbox will not let me create a new account, because the email is already taken -- presumably by the Roku account.

The Roku settings say that I have an active subscription to Britbox.  I have tried canceling the service so that I could remove the app and reinstall, but the Roku device will not let me remove the app until the end of the subscription.

All of my other subscriptions through Roku are working correctly.  I'd hate to have to cancel service because it stopped functioning on my device.  Britbox worked fine for over a year, before it started requiring a login.

Senior software engineer here, so I'm willing to try whatever crazy ideas you can come up with to make this subscription work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
labster
Level 7

Re: Britbox requires a password even when subscribed through Roku

Jump to solution

Was able to get this to work by reinstalling the app -- but only after waiting for the request to cancel the Britbox account to complete.

This took at least a few hours (overnight for me, so I'm not sure).  Once that request went through, I was able to hit the ✱ key to uninstall the app.  Checked for software updates; there were none.  Then I rebooted the Roku box for good measure.  Reinstalled Britbox, and had to enter the account details again.   One password reset later, and I was in.  Finally, I was able to go back the billing screen and reactivate the Britbox service.

One of those fun things where you're not quite sure where the failure was, and it felt like it was a loop where I could not use the service, nor could I cancel it.  But at some point the services synced and everything worked.  I understand why they don't allow uninstalls because of the "where did this app I'm paying for go" user error, but it was a frustrating experience here when I all I wanted to do was reinstall the app.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
labster
Level 7

Jump to solution

Was able to get this to work by reinstalling the app -- but only after waiting for the request to cancel the Britbox account to complete.

This took at least a few hours (overnight for me, so I'm not sure).  Once that request went through, I was able to hit the ✱ key to uninstall the app.  Checked for software updates; there were none.  Then I rebooted the Roku box for good measure.  Reinstalled Britbox, and had to enter the account details again.   One password reset later, and I was in.  Finally, I was able to go back the billing screen and reactivate the Britbox service.

One of those fun things where you're not quite sure where the failure was, and it felt like it was a loop where I could not use the service, nor could I cancel it.  But at some point the services synced and everything worked.  I understand why they don't allow uninstalls because of the "where did this app I'm paying for go" user error, but it was a frustrating experience here when I all I wanted to do was reinstall the app.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mjcostilow42
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am a 78 grandma and not very tec savvy so how do Ir equest to cancel the Britbox account.  Could to send me a step by step how to do what you did with britbox as I can't get it to accept my Roku info.

0 Kudos