Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Best usb media player app

Needs shuffle option that includes folder and subfolders

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Looking to play video in a folder from a certain episode and auto play the rest after. Also a way to skip to next episode without fast forwarding through the current episode. I would like to be a tester. [personal information removed]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

of course the very best USB player is actually a computer. An old laptop will do.

In fact you dont even need a thumb drive. You can upload the media and move it around to any order.

They have VGA to HDMI converters. Newer computers have HDMI connects. Or DisplayPort to HDMI.

Some video cards have HDMI ports. You can play your videos upside down and intersperse them with music.

You can get very long HDMI cables,

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Where is the install link to add Vonhaus to Roku?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Is it possible to add more formats like .avi? Is it possible for the media player to automatically play all videos within a folder - for instance when watching a tv series.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

"a file called autostart.m3u in the root folder it will start playing that as a playlist. "

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-an...

No .avi's are not supported I wish they were.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@houseatreides wrote:

Is it possible to add more formats like .avi? Is it possible for the media player to automatically play all videos within a folder - for instance when watching a tv series.

No, there is no ability to add support for other codecs. You have three choices: 

1. Use something like Handbrake to convert your media into a supported codec/container
  2. Use a different media player, such as the Nvidia Shield
  3. Use a DLNA server that can transcode the audio/video as necessary

Converting your media is time consuming, but only has to be done once. A Shield is much more expensive than the most expensive Roku, and setting up an app like Kodi can be intimidating.

A DLNA server is likely the simplest method. Once it's set up and configured, you never have to mess with the media. You also gain the ability to stream to multiple devices at the same time. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Uggg, the whole point of moving my media from my computer to an external drive was to free up space. Anyway I did what you said, and it's working! The DLNA is playing .avi files. But that makes it all the more frustrating. Why can't Roku just add that ability to play .avi files to the USB? I wanted the Roku TV be it's own independent unit, not draining resources from my computer. Thanks for your very helpful reply!

Highlighted
Level 18

@houseatreides wrote:

Uggg, the whole point of moving my media from my computer to an external drive was to free up space. Anyway I did what you said, and it's working! The DLNA is playing .avi files. But that makes it all the more frustrating. Why can't Roku just add that ability to play .avi files to the USB? I wanted the Roku TV be it's own independent unit, not draining resources from my computer. Thanks for your very helpful reply!

The most likely issue is licensing fees. Roku didn't add MPEG-2 support until the licensing requirement expired. And the most likely reason they don't support lossless audio. And remember the majority of Roku users don't use that sort of functionality, so why pay a license fee for something so few users will have a need for. I don't like it either, but from the business side I can understand the decision. 

You could just use that external drive on your computer as well, so there would be no space issue. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

ok over a year since you posted this. Is there an update to the old RMP. The one that is on Roku sucks. Almost everything I try to play has sound issues with the movie part. Always a codec problem. Roku really needs to update the support for the different formats. In this day and age, there should not be a problem to get any format to play. How do you get this beta by the way? and is backward compatible with Roku 3?

0 Kudos