Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mark_m
Level 7

Re: Best usb media player app

You asked what the roku media player is lacking.  For me it's a way to organize files.  When I load a usb drive I can't arange the contents by date, name, etc.  They're just there. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
martymc1072
Level 7

Is there still a beta group for RMP? Is RokuChris running the show? I tried to do my research, but had no luck finding the answers to those questions. Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@martymc1072 wrote:
Is there still a beta group for RMP? Is RokuChris running the show? I tried to do my research, but had no luck finding the answers to those questions. Thank you in advance!

Yes, there still is a beta group, and it shows @RokuChris as the employee in charge. However, it's been quiet since August, and he's never responded to something I posted over a month ago. I don't know how serious Roku is about supporting RMP, but I hope they are just busy with other issues right now and will get back to it soon. It is my player of choice for my local media. I know Plex and Emby have prettier interfaces, but neither of them offers continuous playback of movie titles. They only do that for TV episodes, and that doesn't fit my needs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jon7sky
Level 8

I would like to see more options for the photo slideshow. Things like more control over how long each picture is displayed, fading from one picture to the next instead of jumping, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
offroad
Level 8

would like to join the group testing out the ROKU MEDIA PLAYER app in beta.  Cant find a way to PRIVATE MESSAGE rokudale to do that.  Jut sent a private message to ROKU CHRIS as hope he is still working on this, or that someone is.  The subtitles are not working well enough with RMP as I cant seem to select from several and get any one specific subtitle to play.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@offroad wrote:

would like to join the group testing out the ROKU MEDIA PLAYER app in beta.  Cant find a way to PRIVATE MESSAGE rokudale to do that.  Jut sent a private message to ROKU CHRIS as hope he is still working on this, or that someone is.  The subtitles are not working well enough with RMP as I cant seem to select from several and get any one specific subtitle to play.  

RokuDale has retired, so @RokuChris is the correct person to make the request to. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
offroad
Level 8

does anyone know if SUBTITLES have to be a certain format, and the first in the list available, in order for RMP to recognize they are there to use them?  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@offroad wrote:

does anyone know if SUBTITLES have to be a certain format, and the first in the list available, in order for RMP to recognize they are there to use them?  

The only captions that are embedded in the video file that I have found a Roku device to display reliably are EIA-608 captions, which are the captions used by broadcast TV. Any image based caption (VOB-SUB or PGS, used on DVD or Blu Ray discs) will not display. Roku is supposed to support external SRT caption files, but I've had limited success with them myself. 

Dan
Highlighted
offroad
Level 8

so it looks like I would need a tool to embed EIA-608 in some way, if I want consistency in using subtitles on my various movies in my collection.  got it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@offroad wrote:

so it looks like I would need a tool to embed EIA-608 in some way, if I want consistency in using subtitles on my various movies in my collection.  got it.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to take VOBSUB or PGS and convert them to EIA-608, then add them to an existing video. I've never looked at that particular scenario, so can't say if it's doable or not. Might be simpler to just use Handbrake and burn the subs into the video. Of course, then you don't have the ability to toggle them off.

Subtitles is one of three reasons I've put an Nvidia Shield on my two main TVs. The other reasons is for lossless audio from my ripped movies and being able to stream my UHD rips without compression. And compressing my UHD movies would remove the HDR encoding, so that's a double reason in one. Smiley Happy But I still use Roku on all the others, as they're so much easier for my family to use. 

Dan
0 Kudos