Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meyerovb
Level 7

Best usb media player app

Using Roku Media Player, anyone have a better option I can check out?
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Markp
Level 9

Re: Best usb media player app

I have a Vonhaus  usb media player which does a great job for the most part. It plays basically every format imagined with great quality. The only drawback would be a lazy remote which has to be aimed directly at the unit to perform. There are quite a few affordable units out there so my suggestion would be to research and read reviews. I was never too happy with the Roku media player as I find it limited.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

@op I invite you to join the RMP beta group to test the next version of RMP.
Actually I invite all users of RMP to the RMP beta group.
Please send a pm to me if you are interested.
rokudale
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"meyerovb" wrote:

Is there something specific that you feel RMP is lacking? RokuDale is always open to suggestions and new ideas. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
meyerovb
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"meyerovb" wrote:

Is there something specific that you feel RMP is lacking? RokuDale is always open to suggestions and new ideas. 

Wow I thought he was just some dev making a home baked usb player lol.  He's actually with roku and talking about roku media player!  My immediate annoyance is that the 'short list' setting doesnt effect folders, just files.
0 Kudos
meyerovb
Level 7

Also I’d like to set it to launch on boot since I have my Roku in my car.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I don't apply the short rows to the folder rows because that could result in a lot of rows of folders before you get to your media.
Maybe you want to try using the list view.
Although you can't launch on boot, you can launch on insertion of usb drive.
Also, if you have a file called autostart.m3u in the root folder it will start playing that as a playlist.
0 Kudos
meyerovb
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
I don't apply the short rows to the folder rows because that could result in a lot of rows of folders before you get to your media.
Maybe you want to try using the list view.
Although you can't launch on boot, you can launch on insertion of usb drive.
Also, if you have a file called autostart.m3u in the root folder it will start playing that as a playlist.

I organize even single videos (movies) and tv shows into a flat structure, so I use folders for everything, even a folder for a single movie inside of it.  That way you don't have to ask "hey why is this movie that starts with a D listed below this tv show that starts with a T?  It would be uber helpful to add a toggle to apply short rows to folders, as the list view doesn't display images next to each folder, and my kids can't read yet.
The point of having everything visually displayed is they can choose what they want from the 106 different movies and tv shows I have for them.  These are root level folders, not individual episodes... So doing autoplay playlist is not desirable in my case.  And the usb drive is permanently in the roku, the roku is plugged into the car tv and gets powered on when the car powers on.  Granted that means the content isnt available for the first minute the car and tv are on, but the car's usb video player is crappy compared to roku.  Thats why I want some way to auto-launch the app on boot.
0 Kudos
Axlrose40
Level 7

Hello
The roku media player has a big lack, when you pause or do fastforward/backward you cant precisely go to a specific time, why we cant see seconds? 
My main use of my Roku4 is the Media Player and I find it really deceiving :/
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Axlrose40" wrote:
Hello
The roku media player has a big lack, when you pause or do fastforward/backward you cant precisely go to a specific time, why we cant see seconds? 
My main use of my Roku4 is the Media Player and I find it really deceiving :/

Deceiving? Insufficient, yes. But deceiving?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos